restore from backup - sms still not there?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by toenniel, Jun 7, 2011.

1. toenniel macrumors newbie

Hello everyone - I have a 3gs, no jailbreak

I deleted a bunch of sms the other day and it's dumb but they have sentimental value so I'd like to recover if possible. I tried to restore my iphone from a previous backup but once the restore was complete the sms were still missing. Question - when I connected my iphone to do the restore, it started a sync (I couldn't disable that option) but I cancelled the sync right away. However, from the date stamp on my most recent iphone backup, itunes completed a backup but it did not SYNC with itunes. From what I understand, the "deleted" sms is still on the phone until a SYNC is done, not a backup. Also, when I explore the backup folder I can find the folder with the SMS data and even though it's not completely readable I can search by this particular persons phone number and I see all the text messages within the backup file that I want to restore. But why didn't the restore work? Did I do something wrong or miss a step or do I need to jailbreak in order for this to be an option?

Any help would be appreciated, I can find a lot of old threads pertaining to this but nothing recent and nothing that addresses my issue specifically. Thanks in advance!

2. peterphamm macrumors newbie

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAY YOU MEAN!!!! haha I thought I was the only one.. I have messages going back for months and I love being able to go back and read them later. And in a year from now I wanna be able to see who I texted see how things have changed hahah. That is why I'm scared to jailbreak my phone because if I have to restore I'm scared I will loose my msgs!!:( so please help