Restore from backup vs setup as new; big performance difference?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by JerTheGeek, Aug 31, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I have wondered about this for a while now. Is restoring from an iTunes backup that bad?
    I have an iPad Air 1 that I just erased and then restored from backup to try and remove some of the lagginess of the PB. Anyway, I've used this backup since I first got an iPad way back in December of 2012. Sure, there is a lot of stuff I don't need on it but I really don't want to go through the hassle of redoing my entire iPad.
    So, in general, iPhone or iPad (or iPod touch), is restoring from an iTunes backup a big deal when it comes to performance? Is it a good idea to start fresh every once in a while? I think we should be able to easily backup and restore to a new device without having to worry about the hassle of setting up as new....

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Reset all settings usually fixes most issues. The times I've restored as new I can't say if noticed any significant difference between that and resetting all settings.

But there can be a difference between using an old backup and starting as new. But if you have issues I'd recommend the above instead cause starting as new is always a hassle.