Restore From Backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davistld01, Sep 20, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Has anybody restored their new iPhone 6's from the backup of their previous iPhones on iTunes? Any problems or glitches?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No problems here. Backed up my 5S and restored to my 6 and it went perfectly!

3. bunger macrumors 6502

4. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I've always restored from backup. Decided to start fresh this time with the new generation.

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Always restored from backup never had an issue.

6. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

7. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

8. kezkensington macrumors newbie

Well....I restored from iCloud backup... everything went smoothly, it appears all my apps and photos and contacts and everything else has been restored properly, but on the lockscreen it still says 'Restoring from Backup'... Is there a way to check what else it needs to download/restore?? I mean it's been almost 24 hours, surely it should be done by now....?? any suggestions?

9. mlsusa macrumors regular

I'm one that's having problems restoring with iTunes from a backup of my 5. In my many attempts it would get stuck at a random app at the point it's syncing my data to the new phone. On other threads the theory was the servers were overloaded with large numbers setting up their new phones. I thought it made sense but then (a) downloading all the apps through the phone was very fast so that kinda dispelled the overloaded server theory and (b) the app it was stuck on already finished downloading to the phone, so from the looks of it the process didn't realize it was done with the app and could move on to the next app.

It may have something to do either with my phone or iTunes. When I tried to set it up as new I had trouble bringing over the photos I wanted on my phone. I got the 128gb model so I wanted to bring in as much as the 60k photos I had. It crapped out midway through a few times and when I finally did get through all of them there were quite a few missing in the phone and would see a "Syncing..." message that didn't go away.

Next step is Apple support to see if there's anything they can try. I'd hate to have to bring it in for a replacement. I've had a few models now and have never had a problem restoring from backup.

10. UneElle macrumors member

Had precisely the same problem. Called Apple Support. He shared screen with me. Had me disconnect USB from MacBookPro, then disconnect power cord from laptop. Rebooted after holding ON button down for 30 secs. Went to Utilities, Verified Disk Permissions, Repaied them, Verified Disk, Repaired it. Rebooted. Reattached USB/iPhone, opened iTunes. Voila! Synced in moments. Hope this helps you. I've seeb a number of people here who've experienced the same issue.

11. mlsusa, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

mlsusa macrumors regular

Thanks. I'll try that.

EDIT: Unfortunately it didn't help. I'll try Apple Support. Thanks for the tip.