restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Jun 19, 2009.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

Sorry - this is basic, but there are no instructions... I am upgrading from the 1st Gen iPhone to 3GS. Do I set it up as a new iPhone or do I restore from backup of my previous phone?

2. InTheAir macrumors regular

I chose to restore my 3GS from a backup of my 3G, if that helps.

3. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks - yeah, that makes sense - i just noticed that i hadn't backed up my previous phone for a couple of days - so i stopped the process to sync up my last phone one last time

wish me luck!

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Restoring mostly worked for me, but it didn't restore the passwords for my mail accounts, or the WiFi passwords. Also it errored installing one app, but it's one I can live without anyway.

5. InTheAir macrumors regular

Does it ever restore passwords?

I recently got a new 3G (cracks in case) and when I went to restore that one a week ago, it did not copy over mail account passwords. I assumed it just doesn't backup that info for security reasons.

BWTHDIK.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Maybe, but what security reasons would those be? The phone has a passcode and SIM lock, and the Mac is password protected, so it seems pretty weak.

7. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

yikes - i hope i didn't screw something up - my backup of my old phone is running very slowly - it's only halfway done and its been awhile longer than any backup has been recently... i hope i didn't confuse my iTunes by stopping the process with my new phone to backup the old phone one last time...

8. rawrmac macrumors newbie

I'm a first gen upgrader too. I still have 2.2 on my phone. Do I have to upgrade to 3.0 and back my phone up and then restore my 3GS from back up or can I just backup with 2.2 on my first gen and restore from backup on my 3GS?

9. InTheAir macrumors regular

Don't know.

You could give it a try and if it doesn't work, update the first gen to 3.0, backup, and restore the 3GS again.

10. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting question. I upgraded my iPhone to 3.0 when it came out, which was the last time I backed up as well. So this is my first time backing up since adding 3.0 to the phone and it's still taking forever...

FYI, when I upgraded to 3.0, it worked for me on the first try and was very easy.

11. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Think of it this way... Your old iPhone is still an iPod Touch now so why not have the latest software on it?