restore from backup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by liquid85, Aug 21, 2010.

1. liquid85 macrumors member

I'm having a problem with the storage on my phone. Itunes shows "other" at 4.76 gigs. I talked about it in this thread- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=998157

I think I need to restore but I was wondering what would happen if I used to time machine to get a backup from a few days ago. I restored from this backup would I still have my jailbreak apps and all my settings? Or would it wipe out my jailbreak? Thanks a lot.

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It would wipe away your jb apps for sure. If you restore from a backup of your phone when it was jailbroken, there will still be remnants of the jb but your phone will not be jailbroken. If you're concerned about reinstalling your jb apps, purchase pkbgackup and run a backup with it before you do your restore (make sure you sync your phone with your computer so that the contact pkgbackup creates is synced with itunes). Then when you jb again, install pkgbackup and run a restore - that will reinstall all of your jb apps, repos, etc.

3. liquid85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Will that restore the app settings and themes I ssh'ed into my phone? Will it work for both cydia and rock apps?

4. liquid85 thread starter macrumors member

When I click to restore from backup it says it will restore apps settings contacts but that it won't restore firmware. So wouldn't it still be jailbroken? Or will it atleast be stuck at whatever firmware it was backed up as? Like if the backup had the firmware at 4.0.1 at the very least after a restore from backup I should just be able to rejailbreak right? sorry for double posting.