restore from iCloud and lose apps that have been pulled from app store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeuxIt, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DeuxIt macrumors member

if you restore from icloud you will lose all apps that have been pulled from the appstore for whatever reason. once an app has been pulled from apples app store for whatever reason (copyright infringement for one app i have) it is also gone from the icloud restore function, though i'm not sure what happens with its backed up data, i just know you can't restore the app. i think in that case you can later install from itunes, but it's a pain to have to remember all such apps and individually restore them.

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Thanks for the heads up! I was contemplating syncing my new 4s to the cloud and glad I didn't now.

3. DeuxIt thread starter macrumors member

i sync to the cloud so in a pinch (traveling) and need to restore, i can, but i also weekly force a local back up to itunes. still don't know what happens to the stored settings data in the icloud backup if you restore a particular app from itunes. for example i have a cocktail app that was long ago pulled from the app store. icloud is still backing up that app's data, but the time i restored from the cloud (in a pinch) that app did not restore. were i to have then loaded that app individually from itues, i wonder if it would have pulled the user data and settings from the cloud. hmmm...

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

Don't really know what you mean, but I've had my iPhone 4 with iCloud running since iOS 5 was released to the public and it has been doing backups since then. It backs up my apps, contacts, settings, calendar events, etc. and has been doing so for nearly 5 months now with no problem.

I bought my iPad 3 last weekend and did a restore from iCloud and immediately after entering my AppleID and password, all of my apps, settings, calendar events, contacts, etc. downloaded. All of my apps were there and none were missing. I've also done two restores on my iPhone and then restored using and iCloud backup and haven't had any problems either.

Everything on my iPhone has synced to iCloud and everything in iCloud has synced to my iPad and iPhone with no problem. Don't really know what you're talking about.

Can you please clarify your first post more? Maybe I just didn't understand it, but for my whole families iPhone's (mom, brother, and sister), iCloud has worked perfectly.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I know what your saying OP, but maybe not.

When i restored from iPad 2 to iPad 3. There was a week I was without iPad. My iCloud backup lagged. And icloud restore, restored old versions of apps, not the new ones. Once restore was done, had like 24ish app updates to then go and do

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so here's the question. Have you any apps on your iphone or iPad that has been pulled sine you put it on your iphone/iPad? If not, then you wouldn't see the problem. He's saying that if you have apps that were pulled from the itunes store (no longer offered) such as say, Handylight (was pulled cause it allowed tethering without paying AT&T/Verizon), and you restore from iCloud, those apps will not get restored.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

8. DeuxIt thread starter macrumors member

I am talking about apps that apple has pulled from the app store. over the years they have pulled apps for a variety of reasons... secret unsanctioned functions, copyright issues, etc. they pull the apps from sale but don't kill them for existing installs. but since iCloud only stores your SETTINGS, not the apps, when you restore, you don't ge those apps back, unless you have them backed up in your computer.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

Good to know.

But, this new feature caught me totally by surprise, and it's fantastic.
    Really a major advance for these things.

At least I think :eek:

10. SR71 macrumors 68000

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I haven't had this problem because the apps that I have downloaded haven't been pulled, but I understand what you are saying. I assume that that is how iCloud is designed. When you restore from an iCloud backup, I think that when it restores your apps, it just searches your most recent backup to figure out what apps you have backed up in iCloud and after it does that, iCloud sends a message to the App Store saying "download this list of apps", and it then finds all of the links to your backed up apps and begins to download them directly from the App Store. This would explain why apps that are pulled from the App Store aren't restored -- there's no link to them in the app store for them to be downloaded from like their is for all of your other apps.

Let me know if that makes sense so I can clarify if necessary.