Restore from iTunes actually transferred apps to new iPhone 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Defender2010, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

There were a few threads around about app thinning and whether it was the reason that apps do not transfer from iTunes when restoring. I just restored my new iPhone 6S with iTunes and all the apps transferred over. Strange. Maybe it was a bug and was fixed. Not sure but last week I restored my iPhone 6 and it downloaded all the apps from the App Store again. Anyone else?

2. tivoboy macrumors 68030

3. flur macrumors 68000

What is app thinning?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep, I restored from an encrypted iTunes backup and all went perfect. I only need to sync all of my music when I get home and it is 100%.

So far all is good on my 6S+

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

basically, apps have becoming universal (for ios9, for iphone, for ipad, including watches data) and larger because of it, app thinning should optimize the app install for the device and YOUR device universe so you don't unnecessarilly jack up your storage for no reason

http://www.imore.com/app-thinning-ios-9-explained

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's a new feature. Essentially, the App store only installs a version of the app you want that is specific to your device. Doing that reduces the size of the app on your iPhone.

Versus downloading an app that is compatible to run on all devices - like in the past.

There's a bug in the iCloud backup process for app thinning so Apple has app thinning disabled right now.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I think it did what it's supposed to.

iTunes is transferring my apps as I type this.

I think they're thinning apps through app updates, no?

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Apple withdrew the product because of the restore problem.

9. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Is it running smooth? Did you have a 6+ previous? Is the weigh obnoxious?

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is running smooth. It did warm up a bit but cold now, think it was "house keeping"/indexing.

Yes had a 6+ previous and until you just mentioned the weight I did not think about it so it is not THAT much more heavy. My Sedio Surface case for the 6+ is fitting a little snug so I just ordered two more for the 6S+.

I am loving the new "hey Siri" thing while in the holster. It really works well.

I have no complaints so far and am happy with what Apple has done to the 6S+!

11. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

My restore seems to be going crazily slow with the apps faded and just waiting where the name should go. Nothing has changed in a while. Though some apps have loaded already in random places! A duff back up?

12. Newtons Apple, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Nope, leave it alone. Some apps in your backup are having to be re-downloaded because they were not compatible. Mine did the same but all filled in and i was not missing a single app.

Correction, just found one app was missing, my online mobile banking app from WellsFargo. Just downloaded it and did the security thing and all is good with the bank