Restore from Mac without iTunes library

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 0Jannik0, Oct 25, 2015.

1. 0Jannik0 macrumors newbie

I'm traveling at the moment, so I don't have access to my iTunes Mediathek library with all my songs etc.

However, my iPhone 6 is having some trouble and I want to reset it and then restore from a backup.

What happens if I create a backup and restore my iPhone from this backup, at someone else's Mac which does not have my iTunes library?

Are all my songs included in this backup? I know that photos, app data etc. is included but I'm worried about everything related to my iTunes library like music.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think what you propose will work. In fact if you try to back up and to iTunes on someone else computer I believe all the content on your iPhone will be deleted as it does not exist on in iTunes on the other persons Mac. Essentially as none of the content on the iPhone exists on that Mac the synchronisation process will delete of the iPhone. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

What might work is backing up to iCloud and then restoring from that. But again I'm not sure if that is an option. Also the problem you might face if there are issues with your phone is that back up may inherit these and a restore will just bring them back. Ideally you should be restoring from a previous back up as far as I'm aware.

3. 0Jannik0 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can create a backup from my iPhone on this Mac (the one without my iTunes library) without problems or deleting the content on my iPhone. Although I'm not sure if it also stores the my music etc.

Of course, the best would be to use an old backup or just start "fresh". However, this is not possible for me at the moment, so I wanted to try the restore from a backup as a "short-term" solution.

4. magaretz macrumors newbie

It would be simple. Just export the items you care about and you should know there is a lot of apps capable of doing that. Then reset the device and import those items back to your iPhone. This seems the easiest way to get that