Restore from TC after clean install of Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BretSavage, Jul 24, 2011.

1. BretSavage macrumors newbie

Hello Friends,

Please help me from losing years of data. This is my first post and I am scared. Please do not mind if you notice anything ridiculous.

I use MacBook (mid 2008, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB Hard Disk) and Time Capsule 2TB (2nd Gen) for data back-up.

I upgraded to Lion the very first day it was launched. However, I noticed considerable slower performance after the upgrade. At first I thought may be same was due to indexing etc. and decided to wait for a couple of days.

As there was no improvement, I decided to do a clean install of Lion so that all the junk was out of the way.

I formatted my hard disk the most secure way using disk utility (took almost 12 hours!) and installed Lion. All went well. Finally, it asked me if I wanted to restore data from Time Capsule. Here I made the mistake. I selected NO as I thought I could do it later.

Please note following:

1) I changed my profile name from bretsavage to bret during clean install.

2) Computer name remained same as Bret.

After clean install, I logged into the system and performance magically improved. Everything was fast like Snow Leopard and I was happy. Then I set up Time Capsule to restore data from previous back-up.

I entered Time Machine. Though it said first back-up was dated September 2009 and showed month wise back-ups in the side bar, I was not able to select or restore data from previous back ups.

I went through forums and found that If I click Option + Enter command on time capsule menu, it would let me use the older back-ups. Tried that. It showed the option but when I entered Time Machine, it would not let me select or restore from previous back-ups.

I read somewhere that Migration Assistant can help. I tried that and it did give me an option to restore data. However, it asked me to create a new profile different from existing one. I selected Bret Savage and data was restored. As I did not want to have 2 profiles, I deleted Bret Savage (silly mistake) and with it restored data.

Meanwhile, Time Capsule backed up my current profile and I got royally screwed. Now:

1) I am not able to restore old profile data using Time Machine. Option + Enter too does not help.

2) Migration Assistant does not help either. It only shows current profile as back-up.

3) If I browse Time Capsule, it shows back-up folders from 2009. However, when I try to browse user folder for bretsavage, it says I do not have access to view documents, music, videos folders etc.

Is it possible to get my old data especially emails and iTunes?

Thanks a ton.

2. BretSavage thread starter macrumors newbie

Found Solution

For the benefit of others, I managed to find a solution.

Start up Lion Recovery HD and select the option Restore from Time Machine Back Up.

Select the relevant date back up. This will restore entire system to the exact condition it was in at the time of backup.

Quite simple. Thanks.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it working again and thanks for posting your solution. This will be very helpful in the future. :)

4. unobtainium macrumors 68000

What do you do if you only want to restore certain apps and folders but not the entire system? Can you drag and drop certain files from TC into your new installation?