"Restore from Time Machine Backup" Specifics (SSD Performance Degradation)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aeronauticsrock, Sep 8, 2010.

1. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

I have a little bit of an obscure question. Ive been using a 160GB Intel SSD (Gen 2) for some time now. Im getting a new macbook pro today (2010 model yay!) and am going to install the Intel SSD.

I have begun noticing a little performance degradation with the drive, so I want to use this as an opportunity to erase that.

I was planning on formatting the SSD and restoring from my TM backup (I would like to avoid reinstalling EVERYTHING if possible). If I do the restore after the format, will it also restore the problems Im having? Or will it just restore that data as if I had installed everything fresh?

FYI, Im not going to "zero data" or anything like that, just a simple format in Disk Utility.

Thank you for your help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time Machine is a file backup utility as opposed to a block backup. So it will basically initiate a copy from the backup to the destination drive. That being the case, you should not see any issues with the SSD and degradation.

Be prepared to let this puppy run for a while. I have a Time Capsule, and it took in excess of 8 hours to do a full restore. I'm sure data bandwidth has some blame, but I don't think the restore, is very quick anyways.

3. Baral macrumors member

If you're looking to restore your SSD to factory performance, a format via disk utility definitely will not do that. The only free way to do that on OSX is through an ATA secure-erase command via bootable Linux CD.

The paid way to do it is by buying Disktester ($30, I believe).