Restore from time machine without snow leopard disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfanMAW, Dec 19, 2010.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi all, tomorrow I should be getting my MacBook pro back from apple. I have everything backed up on an external hard drive but I realized I left my snow leopard DVD at school (I'm home from college for the break). Is their a way to restore from backup without the disc?

Thanks!

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder...

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

That's the way to do it. In this case you're not really restoring but rather migrating. You'll be given the option to move all your settings and files from a Time Machine backup when you set up your new computer for the very first time in the Welcome sequence.

4. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome thanks! Will this keep all of my previous backups? I have some files that I deleted from my laptop but kept backed up in case I needed them. Will I be able to get thoses?

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You will get whichever files were present the last time you backed up the computer. It's also worth doing a Carbon Clone on an external HD now and then just in case.

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

It won't affect your time machine drive at all. So after setting up your new system you can always go back in your backup drive and look for the files you deleted...