Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I'm about to migrate all my stuff, almost 200Gb worth, from a MBA to a 13" rMBP. (YAY RETINA DISPLAY!)
So before I pick up the new machine, I'm wondering if it's better or if there's any difference between restoring my entire TM backup, or restoring using migration assistant to restore the users folder, apps folder, system settings, and other stuff I need.
It's been a while since I did this; when you choose to restore from a TM backup during the initial setup, does it give you the option to pick and choose? Is there a big speed difference when restoring from a backup?
Thanks.
Jerthegeek

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Time Machine and Migration are hand in hand. The main reason I would suggest a manual backup is if your existing system is experiencing issues(software issues will carry over to the new system with TM/Migration Assistant), thus if you are having any software woes... forego the TM/Migration assistant duet and backup/restore your files manually
Typically for the minimum in migration assistant I select any user/home folders I wish to carry over and the Apps folder.. "System Settings" can be a mixed bag in my experience so I typically skip that.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Time Machine and Migration are hand in hand. The main reason I would suggest a manual backup is if your existing system is experiencing issues(software issues will carry over to the new system with TM/Migration Assistant), thus if you are having any software woes... forego the TM/Migration assistant duet and backup/restore your files manually
Typically for the minimum in migration assistant I select any user/home folders I wish to carry over and the Apps folder.. "System Settings" can be a mixed bag in my experience so I typically skip that.
I'm not having any software issues with the air. So I should be good to just restore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.