Restore from TM backup vs restoring stuff separately

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JerTheGeek, Apr 22, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I'm about to migrate all my stuff, almost 200Gb worth, from a MBA to a 13" rMBP. (YAY RETINA DISPLAY!)
    So before I pick up the new machine, I'm wondering if it's better or if there's any difference between restoring my entire TM backup, or restoring using migration assistant to restore the users folder, apps folder, system settings, and other stuff I need.
    It's been a while since I did this; when you choose to restore from a TM backup during the initial setup, does it give you the option to pick and choose? Is there a big speed difference when restoring from a backup?
    Thanks.
    Jerthegeek

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Time Machine and Migration are hand in hand. The main reason I would suggest a manual backup is if your existing system is experiencing issues(software issues will carry over to the new system with TM/Migration Assistant), thus if you are having any software woes... forego the TM/Migration assistant duet and backup/restore your files manually
    Typically for the minimum in migration assistant I select any user/home folders I wish to carry over and the Apps folder.. "System Settings" can be a mixed bag in my experience so I typically skip that.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I'm not having any software issues with the air. So I should be good to just restore?

4. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Yep, sounds like you are good to go. Congrats on your new rMBP btw. :)

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks! THE SCREEN.....amazing