Restore FW:2.2.1 to FW:3.1.2 "not eligible". Why??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Grasshopper2Ant, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Grasshopper2Ant macrumors newbie

I have a 2G iTouch 8GB (MB) model. It is at 2.2.1 firmware. I am trying to get it to 3.1.2 firmware so I can JB it. iTunes will not let me restore. I get the "device not eligible" message.

What are my options to JB this ?? I have read I can upgrade or downgrade to any 3.x.x firmware without saving my SHSH blobs on a 2G iTouch. Can someone confirm this?

Final question, does one need to be at 3.1.2 if I am using redsn0w 0.9.4 ??

Thanks for any info to help!!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what is the exact deal with 2G touch, but "not eligible" usually means you are trying to restore to a firmware that Apple is no longer signing.

3. Grasshopper2Ant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I tried it on two computers and got the same message. I figured it may be the signing bit but I thought I read on a 2G I could upgrade or downgrade without issue. If someone can confirm this?

4. avit macrumors regular

avit

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I began to type out a response to this, and got this feeling of deja-vu...I realized why: I've had this discussion elsewhere on this site recently. :)

Rather than rehashing it here, I'll link to my other post: let me know if this helps.

It is still a bit strange because I understood Apple to only be checking signatures on 4.0 and above with iPod touch 2G, so in theory 3.1.x shouldn't be a problem, but it is sounding more and more like with the latest iTunes, Apple may have decided to artificially prevent downgrading.

Good luck,

-- Nathan

6. Grasshopper2Ant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your replies and ideas.

I tried 3.1.3 firmware and I get the same "device not eligible" message, same as 3.1.2 firmware.

I am going to try the custom .ipsw route and see what happens.

I am using iTunes 9.0 or 9.2 and want to JB the iTouch. I am trying to update to a firmware so I can use to JB. Should I try 4.0 knowing I can never go back?