Restore hard drive from back up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TravisC, Oct 19, 2011.

1. TravisC macrumors newbie

I need to restore my hard drive from a backup that I did a few weeks ago. How do I do this. I have my backup on an external hard drive. Thanks!!

2. simsaladimbamba

What HDD did you backup to an external HDD? The internal HDD?
    Do you want to restore the OS or just contents?
    Can you please provide such information?

Time Machine FAQ

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you used Time Machine, try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

4. TravisC thread starter macrumors newbie

I backed up the internal HDD. I deleted iTunes to try and install the new version since I was having issues and it told me to clean out the old files of iTunes but now, after doing that, I still can't install the new version. I want to just restore iTunes back on it.

5. simsaladimbamba

What exactly did you delete to ged rid of iTunes?

Btw, you can browse the TM folder via Finder, it is the "Backups.backudb" folder on the TM drive.

6. TravisC thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed some directions on the web to "uninstall" iTunes but now I can't even start the iTunes application that never got removed and when I do it says I have to download a new version. I'm screwed if I can't figure this out. Oh, btw, I'm in Venezuela for 4 months so going to the Genius bar is not an option. FML

When I download the iTunes and try to install it, it tells me that the updates can't be installed because "You don't have permission." I have tried to repair disk permissions, made sure I am the administrator, nothing...HELP!!

7. TravisC thread starter macrumors newbie