Restore help for a noob

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xm45x, Nov 22, 2010.

1. xm45x macrumors newbie

Let me start off by saying I have not used Time Machine so any Time Machine related answers will be redundant. So today I was changing some of my movie files from a .mp4 extension to a .mov extension. To do this I was go to the rename option and manually going to change the extension. In previous applications this has worked but to my dismay all 20 or so of my movie files have been corrupted and there is no undo button or anything for me to go back in time and fix this. I am wondering if there is some system restore like on windows I can use or anything right now to go back in time to just before I deleted the files. Please help

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't re-rename the files to a .mp4 extension? Or have you moved them to the Trash and subsequently emptied it?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What error message do you get when trying to rename the files back to .mp4?

4. xm45x, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

xm45x thread starter macrumors newbie

when I try to open either the .mov file or the .mp4 (after changing it back) I get "This movie could not be opened - An invalid sample description was found in the movie"

edit: Also they are sitting in the same exact folder as they were after I converted them from my HD PVR to the mp4 file extension

basically what I need to do is go back in time 2 maybe 3 hours ago

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do a Get Info on one of the files, then under "Name & Extension" make sure that "Hide extension" is turned off. In the box above, make sure that it ends in .mp4 and not .mp4.mov