Restore iMac to sell?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gaddster, Feb 15, 2013.

1. gaddster macrumors member

Hi Guys

Now I know my NEW 27' imac is in the country, I am selling my beloved 2010 iMac.

I have plenty of backups via time machine and copied various folders just in case I need them

Can I do a clean restore or just set up a new user and delete my current user account (will this delete all of my personal docs etc?)

Or should I just do a fresh restore (not sure how to do that though!

2. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I would boot from the install disk, and do a security wipe of the hard drive from Disk Utilities. then just do a fresh install.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Very simple! When the new machine is turned on for the first time it will initiate Startup Assistant. One question SA is whether you are migrating from another Mac, choose yes then follow the on screen instructions, one option is restoring from Time Machine, choose it and you are on the way!

4. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I think the question was about cleaning off the old one, not setting up the new one.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

This.

6. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

so would this revert to the old operating software i initially bought the mac within april 2010?? or would it keep mountain lion?

7. bflowers macrumors 6502a

It would install whichever OS you put in the machine. I personally would use the Install disc that came with your machine, if you have that available. Effectively, you are transferring the license to the new owner. Was that 10.6? If you don't still have the original discs, then you could always download any of the upgrades that you have purchased via the Mac App Store, and make a bootable USB drive of that image. A quick Google search will nab you an app to create that USB stick.

I wouldn't use your current version 10.8. Apple may be really flexible with their upgrade licenses, they don't use product keys like Microsoft, but you do agree to specific terms when you buy software. Maybe go with 10.7, as you won't be using it on the new machine, and it isn't that outdated. (Yes I know he got a new license with the new machine.)

The important part is to do the secure wipe. It may take all night, but it is the best way to protect yourself short of pulling the drive and drilling a hole in it.

8. gaddster, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

gaddster thread starter macrumors member

Surely when I bought Mountain lion, I bought the licence for the imac and macbook pro, so when my nw Imac comes it will have a different licence?

PS yes it was 10.6 snow leopard, so long ago now ha

9. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

The install disc is not letting me choose my hard drive stating (the mac osx cannot start up from this disc).. very confused now

10. seanm9 macrumors regular

When you bought ML according to the license agreement is for any mac's that you own to install on... when you sell that mac you cannot transfer the license to the new owner. your best bet is to install the drive back to the securely delete the HDD and use the restore media that came with the Mac and make sure when you sell it you include those discs with the Machine...

11. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

yeah I had to do another erase but select the security option etc.

All working fine now, back to its original state, bless

Now come on customs, release my new 27" beast :D

12. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Yes, it did. However, I've seem to recall reading somewhere that user data is imbedded somewhere in it, so that copy you purchased via the App Store and downloaded, may have your iTunes ID imbedded in it. It I was selling it to someone that wasn't already well known to me, I would want the older disk install. That is just me.

13. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

Its a friends daughter so I have told her to buy the ML software from the app store when I deliver the imac tomorrow, £13.99 is a good buy really.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You should be able to install it with the original reinstallation disks. If you're selling it, it's polite to deliver it with a clean installation.

Snow Leopard is a pretty solid OS unless you specifically need some of the newer stuff.

15. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm giving my old iMac to a family member and I would also like to clean it up. However, I don't want to wipe the drive clean as I would like to give it to her with iLife and some of the other non-registered apps. At the same time I need to get rid of my bookmarks, browsing history, and data. I'm sure it's simple, just a time consuming manual process.

16. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Then create a new user, make it Admin. Delete your old account, then make sure there aren't files of yours outside the User folders. Do use Disk Utilities to securely erase free space. Log in under the new user and double check all browsing data is cleared, and that you can't find anything of yours.

If you have access to reinstall the Apps you want, I would still do a clean install. Many third party apps are simply drag and drop. If you have registration keys for any, you could reinstall those too. Or, you could use Time Machine and Migration Assistant to simply install just the Apps back to the computer after a full wipe and reinstall. Again, give it a once over before handing it over.

17. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When you delete a user account, you have the option of secure erasing the account.

Personally, I enable FileVault II. My above statement may be function of FVII... I am just not sure.

/Jim

18. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I checked, you can choose Secure when deleting an account. Still, my above advice is still sound. A clean install after a secure wipe is the best way to go, even if you are migrating some Apps afterwards. You can never wipe a drive to much if you had personal data on it. The clean install is better for the new user anyway, as errors that have crept into the OS will be eliminated.

Does FileVault make a noticeable impact on file access? I've used encryption before, and it was rather detrimental at the time (years ago, and very slow). Although, not as slow as Disk Doubler was back in the 90's!

19. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I always turn on full disk encryption as soon as I get the machine... so it is hard for me to give an A/B comparison since I never use it without encryption. Modern microprocessors have encryption instructions... so I think FVII runs with little to no performance degradation. In an case... it is worth it to me to always use disk encryption. Essentially, if someone steals your machine with FVII turned on... all they get is your machine... not your identity.

FVII is a significant improvement to FVI.

/Jim

20. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Thanks Jim. I'll have to check it out, and see what it does to my MacBook's performance. I'm less worried about my iMac going missing, as the house security alarm is designed to protect that.

I do individually password protect things like my Tax files. And if they want to break in and get my daughter's ABCMouse password, I guess they are welcome to it! :D