Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prmccarron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Hi
I recently updated my iPhone 4 (CDMA) to iOS 5 developer preview. Realizing I depend on a jailbreak, and none of the apps I use are iOS 5 ready, I wanted to downgrade back to iOS 4. However, being used to an iPod touch, I never (until now) thought about one major problem in the iPhone: baseband. Is there anyway I can get back to iOS 4(.2.6) now? I really hate this at the moment :/
Thanks

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hi
I recently updated my iPhone 4 (CDMA) to iOS 5 developer preview. Realizing I depend on a jailbreak, and none of the apps I use are iOS 5 ready, I wanted to downgrade back to iOS 4. However, being used to an iPod touch, I never (until now) thought about one major problem in the iPhone: baseband. Is there anyway I can get back to iOS 4(.2.6) now? I really hate this at the moment :/
Thanks

I have no experience of the CDMA phone but on the GSM it has always been possible to go back to the production version still being signed by apple from the test version. This is possible only the IP4 because apple signs both firmware and baseband.

I have not heard that any thing is different this time. This is normally possible only from beta software to current production.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
you cannot go back to 4.2.6 unless your shsh blobs are stored in cydia. then you can use TU.

4.2.8 is good to restore too though, thats what i did.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
i get that you can DFU restore without changing your itunes version but i dont get how the phone being CDMA would change the iTunes restore process

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
i get that you can DFU restore without changing your itunes version but i dont get how the phone being CDMA would change the iTunes restore process
He was referring to the software version you posted. The CDMA iPhone isn't running 4.3.3, only the GSM.

sal74

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Ontario, Canada
iOS 5 beta 1 to 4.3.3

I can confirm that the baseband also reverts back to 4.10.01 when downgrading from iOS 5 beta 1 to 4.3.3

What I did to get back to 4.3.3:

1. Put iPhone into DFU
2. Hold "option" (on a Mac, hold "shift" on PC) and select 4.3.3 firmware
3. 10 minutes later and you're laughing

Thanks,

Sal

dlewis39

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Restore iOS 5 back to 4?

I still don't think the question about the CDMA version which is 4.2.8 has been answered. I am a registered developer but Apple's servers have been down since Monday which I was unaware of until I tried to update to 5b2on the Verizon unit I purchased last night. I get the Message...
  • "We're unable to complete your activation. This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program. If you are a member of the Program, please register your device in the iPhone Developer Program Portal"
Even though it is registered. I would have no issue waiting except for the fact that I can't use it with iOS5 and it won't allow me to revert back to 4.2.8 no matter what I've done so far. So does anyone know how to get either os to work? Do I need to downgrade my baseband?

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X
http://mac.downloadatoz.com/tutoria...ade-ios-5-to-ios-4-2-8-for-iphone-4-cdma.html: It is possible, but you MUST require your SHSH blobs in order to downgrade. Unfortunately, for people on iOS 5 beta, you are going to have to wait until iOS 5 fully releases.

However, you could try attempting to restore to a custom firmware of iOS 4.2.8 via Snowbreeze. [As well, make sure you do remove the iTunes 10.5 beta first, then get the latest iTunes from Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/]

The following is a tutorial:
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...d-and-ios-4.3.3-with-sn0wbreeze-2.7-tutorial/

Hopefully a custom firmware could get through Apple's server. If custom firmware does not go through with iTunes 10.3.1, then try iReb v4.0x-4.1RC2: http://filetrip.net/f24152-iREB-v4-0-x-4-1RC2.html

After running iReb, then attempt to restore to custom firmware. In this case, chances are 50% [estimated opinion].

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.