Restore iPad 3 from iPad 2 backup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Agent-P, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

*First off, yes I know the iPad 3 isn't out yet, so no one can answer for sure*

If I were to backup my iPad 2 to iCloud and/or my Mac, could I buy an iPad 3 and just restore from my iPad 2 backup? I guess this would be similar to someone restoring an iPad 2 from an iPad backup or an iPhone 4S from an iPhone 4 backup. This seems like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

to do this backup your iPad to iTunes or icloud. Then on the new device choose restore from iCloud backup. OR connect it to iTunes and choose restore from backup.

3. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So it is possible. Okay, that's good. Makes my upgrade process simpler. Thanks!

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

it's easiest if you backup to icloud. all your itunes purchases will be restored. If you purchase your media content elsewhere, you will have to sync with itunes.

5. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I was planning on backing up to both, just in case, but restoring from iCloud since I've done that in the past when I had to restore my iPad 2. My music isn't from iTunes, so I will have to manually sync that afterward. But as long as my settings and apps are restored by iCloud (which they will be) then I'm fine.