Restore iPad mini with iPad Air backup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by photoj2754, Dec 8, 2015.

1. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

I have an iPad Air that is backed up in iTunes on my iMac. I bought my mom an original iPad mini that is under my account but has never been backed up. Recently her favorite anagram game was acting funny and I deleted the app and when I tried to restore it turns out the license had expired and was no longer available in the App Store. It is still on my Air but not showing in my iTunes app section. Any chance if I erase then restore the mini using my Air backup that the game would be back on the mini? She really love that game. Thanks or the help.

2. dinostars macrumors member

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be back on there. I'm not 100% sure but it doesn't sound like you have much to lose by trying.

3. papbot macrumors 6502

If you're using iOS 9 and El Capitan if the app is not in your iTunes app section it will probably not restore to the mini. The backups do not store the apps on the device. The process will attempt to find it in the App Store but if not there it won't appear on the mini.

Restoring won't hurt but my guess is it will not restore that particular app to the mini.

4. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep, don't rely on the backup to put the app back in there. The backup just stores a token of sorts to tell the OS to redownload the app. If the app doesn't exist anymore, it won't be able to download it. As MJedi suggests, transfer the purchase manually back over to the computer, and back from the computer after the restore is done to the new iPad.

6. papbot, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015

papbot macrumors 6502

Again if you're using iOS 9 and El Capitan with the latest iTunes version that transfer function does not work for apps from the device to iTunes (unless something just changed with today's releases). Apps can be transferred to the device from iTunes but if it does not exist in your library then this won't work.

The current software uses app slimming, trimming, thinning or whatever they call it. So each device gets a specific version and this does not transfer back to iTunes currently.

The process does work for music purchases but not apps.

I just confirmed today's releases do not change this. Apps only transfer one way - to the device. They must be in iTunes for this to happen.

7. photoj2754 thread starter macrumors 6502

photoj2754

" if you're using iOS 9 and El Capitan with the latest iTunes version" Yep, this is what I have so thanks for the reply. I guess my mom will just have to wait till he renews his license.