Resolved Restore iPhone 5 as new to download iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by KUguardgrl13, Sep 18, 2013.

1. KUguardgrl13, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I got some advice from a Genius when I was having my MacBook Pro worked on that before downloading iOS 7 it's good to restore your phone as new and download apps from the App Store. Seems like a good idea, but he mentioned that Messages will disappear. Is that accurate? I've read somewhere that iCloud saves them. I'm going to use iCloud to get my contacts and other settings back.

I guess I just need someone to explain this process in non-Genius speak. I understand going into iTunes and clicking "Restore iPhone" and saving a backup just in case things go horribly wrong. Just need to know how to get contacts and stuff restored. I get that I'll be spending some time redownloading my apps from the App Store.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's not necessary. You can just update.

If you really want to restore, back your phone up to iCloud. Then, plug in your phone to computer, hit restore in iTunes. Once it's finished, your device will go to a welcome screen. Sign in to your wifi network, and then select the option to restore from your iCloud backup. Then, select your most recent iCloud backup and restore it.

It will bring everything back; your messages, apps, app data, settings. etc..

3. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

You will lose your imessages. They are backed up to the cloud but you will not retrieve them unless you do a full restore from iCloud.

Here's what I am going to do:

Backup my photos to dropbox.
    Backup my contacts / cal to iCloud.

Wipe phone, update to iOS7.

Put my apple ID in and it will bring my contacts/cals down. Then go into the app store and see all the apps you have downloaded, choose what you want to download. Re-setup everything and re-arrange your icons.

----------

Doing a restore from the cloud will defeat the purpose pretty much of even wiping it to begin with.

Think of it as... doing a straight OTA upgrade as putting fresh paint over a wall that has several coats already on it. Holes and bumps, etc. will still be there. If you wipe and restore you are bringing back the uneven parts of the wall with the new paint.

A wipe and starting fresh is like using putty, sanding, priming then painting, removing any blemishes from prior OS'.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, I am aware, but there is hardly ever a need to wipe it fully and start fresh. Only if you are having major software issues. It's designed to do OTA updates for a reason.

An iCloud backup only saves the data; if there was corrupt software, it won't be transferred back over. The only reason would be a corruption in your settings/apps/app data, which is rare. Other than that, there's no need for someone to go through and loose valuable information and start over for no reason.

5. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

True but I keep seeing people with the "other" issue taking up space. I'd rather just start clean. IMO

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

And what most of them don't realize is that Messages, particularly attachments and photos receieved in Messages are stored in other, and they can take up quite a bit of room. :cool: Other things as well. As I said, some people just want to start clean - but for many, it's an unecessary hassle that will cause them to lose data they have no reason for losing.

7. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I just restore it through iTunes and then set it up and log in? Then reset settings of course. Thanks!

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you go this way, you will not get your messages back. You can only do that if you restore from a backup.

9. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Eh, I can survive. Nothing terribly important. But I haven't done a full restore since I got the phone in January.