Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newbe175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2017
I recently gave my daughter my old iPhone 6 which had iOS 10.3.3. I was able to restore it from a previous iPhone 5S (10.3.3) backup on a different computer without having to update/restore. I initially nuked the 6 (reset all settings) and then connected it to the PC with her last back up (iOS 10.3.3). Surprisingly (and yes a big surprise), it restored all of her settings without forcing me to update the 6 first to iOS 11.

I've had my new phone (7) for about a month. I wasn't able to restore it from my last iPhone 6 backup because the backup was in 10.3.3 and the new 7 has 10.3.2. No big deal since I set it up as "new" and was able to resync almost everything (except camera roll and old text) from the 6.

Now, I would like to restore the 7 to finalize the "unlock" granted by my carrier. Unfortunately, I can't restore without updating to iOS 11.1.2. I tried DFU mode but once connected to iTunes it wants to update and restore. I'm using a different PC (the same one used for the last two years on the 6 and the last month on the 7). I really don't have to be faced with the options of "update/restore" and "setup as new" by resetting all settings on the 7.

This (restoring to finish unlock) is not something I "have" to do. It would be nice in case we do some international travel and want to install an sim card while traveling abroad.

Help!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I recently gave my daughter my old iPhone 6 which had iOS 10.3.3. I was able to restore it from a previous iPhone 5S (10.3.3) backup on a different computer without having to update/restore. I initially nuked the 6 (reset all settings) and then connected it to the PC with her last back up (iOS 10.3.3). Surprisingly (and yes a big surprise), it restored all of her settings without forcing me to update the 6 first to iOS 11.

I've had my new phone (7) for about a month. I wasn't able to restore it from my last iPhone 6 backup because the backup was in 10.3.3 and the new 7 has 10.3.2. No big deal since I set it up as "new" and was able to resync almost everything (except camera roll and old text) from the 6.

Now, I would like to restore the 7 to finalize the "unlock" granted by my carrier. Unfortunately, I can't restore without updating to iOS 11.1.2. I tried DFU mode but once connected to iTunes it wants to update and restore. I'm using a different PC (the same one used for the last two years on the 6 and the last month on the 7). I really don't have to be faced with the options of "update/restore" and "setup as new" by resetting all settings on the 7.

This (restoring to finish unlock) is not something I "have" to do. It would be nice in case we do some international travel and want to install an sim card while traveling abroad.

Help!
In most cases, it's no longer actually necessary to restore your phone to unlock it. In any case, there is no way to restore and stay on 10.3.2. If you restore, the phone will be updated to 11.1.2.

newbe175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2017
Ok. It worked. I erased the 7 via Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. When the phone restarted, I selected Restore Previous iTunes Backup. Connected to iTunes and the phone was restored to the iOS 10.3.3 backup made a few minutes before. I had a suspicion that it would work. I had essentially done the same thing with my daughters "new" iP6 with one of her 5S backups (iOS 10.3.3).

Hopefully, this will help others.

Reactions: Ray2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.