iPhone Restore iPhone and keep health data

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Mammut, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Mammut macrumors member

Mammut

Hey guys,

I've got some problems with my battery indicator since one of the last updates. Last week i went to the Apple Store and the genius checked the battery for failures, but fortunately wasn't able to find any. So he advised me to restore my iPhone as a new one.

Now my question is: is there a way to do so, but keep my health data? My iPhone is synced an backupped with iCloud. Would be a shame to lose all the health data just to fix this indicator issue.

Best regards!

2. PR1985 macrumors 6502

Sync an encrypted backup on your PC/MAC and play it back on your device after you restored it as a new one.

3. Mammut thread starter macrumors member

Mammut

Isnt this the same as directly restoring from a backup?

4. PR1985 macrumors 6502

The point is, you need an encrypted backup in order to be able to safe your health data.

5. Mammut thread starter macrumors member

Mammut

Sure, I've got an encrypted backup. But I thought its essential for the problemsolving to do not restore a complete backup. Or am I wrong with this assumption and restoring after setting up as a new device is a completly different thing compared to directly restoring it from a backup?

6. PR1985 macrumors 6502

Maybe you are right, I don`t know but then your data will be gone. You tried a restart with Powerbutton + Homebutton?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, that's the choice basically, either restore as new where most of the data isn't restored (short of a few things like contacts that might be stored in iCloud or somewhere similar), or restore from a backup where most of the data can be restored.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

9. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

What specifically is wrong with the battery indicator? Have you tried a reset all settings? I would do that 1st rather than a full on restore. But if you say what particular issue you have it may help others to recommend a fix.

10. Mammut thread starter macrumors member

Mammut

Thank you guys! :)

The indicator is just an unreliable mess! Yesterday my battery drained quickly to 1% remaining capacity over the day. But after reaching 1% i was able to use the device for additional 45 minutes before it shutted down. On the other side the iPhone sometimes shuts down with 10 to 20% remaining... So as I said before, i made an appointment at the apple store, but the genius said the battery itself is in perfect condition and it has to be a software issue.

I already tried to use the device till it was out of battery and charged it without using back to 100%. The Internet suggested, that this could propably fix my issue, but it didn't effect anything.

11. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Have you tried just restoring as new but doing no backups, but testing it for a day? Just to see what the battery does on a fresh iOS

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Ughh, this happened to me starting a few months ago. Got really bad in Mach-April and Apple told me the same thing the battery was fine. I ended up restoring as new - which was a proper PITA - but the problem persisted. I ended up getting a replacement which has been perfect (knocks shelf) with an excellent battery. Good luck.

13. Mammut thread starter macrumors member

Mammut

So you got changed your device? Maybe I have to check if the guys at the Apple Store in Frankfurt are easier to convince to replace my phone. :D At the moment its a really annoying situation. Its some sort of lottery... is there enough power for the rest of the day / evening or not... never had an issue like this with my previous iphones.

14. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yes I got a "new" (or refurbished, no difference - new screen and body) iPhone 6 132GB. Makes my Applecare+ worth it let me tell you.