Restore iphoto masters from ccc backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Elho, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Elho macrumors regular

Hi,

I've made backups of my iphoto masters folder on a weekly basis on my old macbook with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I bought a new mac and now i would like to restore the masters to my new iphoto.

I can't seem to find on the internet how exactly i have to do this. Can somebody help me?

Thanks

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Are you saying that you went inside the iPhoto Library folder and only backed up the Masters folder?

If so, I'm afraid that you didn't go about backing your photos up correctly. You should have backed up the entire "iPhoto Library" folder.

If you *did* back up the entire folder (and since you used CCC, I'd have thought you'd back up the entire drive), then all you have to do is place the iPhoto Library folder into your Pictures folder (/Users/your_user_name/Pictures), and you should be good to go.

If you *didn't* back up the entire iPhoto Library folder, then can you get it from your old Mac? If so, just copy it over to your new Mac. You may have to use the "Repair Permissions" option of the Photo Library First Aid on the new computer to insure that your user account has access to each photo (you access the First Aid window by launching iPhoto and then *immediately* holding down both the command and option keys until the window appears). If you can't get it from your old computer then all you have are your physical photos but no metadata -- so no tags, events, albums, etc. Just the photos. If you ever cropped or adjusted a photo in any way, that will be gone, too -- the Masters folder contains the original, untouched copies. If this is what you have then it's better than nothing, right? Just re-import that folder into iPhoto. You won't have any of the metadata, like I said, but at least you haven't lost your photos.

Good luck!

3. Elho thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, i've only made backups of the masters forum. i read on a site once that this was the way to go.

Lucky for me i still have my original iPhoto library on my old MacBook. My best option like you suggest is indeed to copy that one to my new Mac.

Thanks, another lesson learned!!