Restore iPod as FAT32

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Awesomeness, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Awesomeness macrumors member

My iPod's filesystem is HFS+ right now and I really need it to be FAT32 so my Windows computer can see it. But how can I restore it to FAT32 with my Windows computer that can't see my iPod in the first place? :( I'm confused...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is this an iPod Touch? iPod Touches don't have the Mac or Windows format problem. You can't format an iPod Touch like a USB drive.

Use iTunes to restore your non-iPod Touch for use in Windows.

3. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

Oh, well... Can you think of any reasons why my windows computer can't see it? o_o

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You don't have the proper version of iTunes installed, you need to restart your computer, your dock cable is bad, your USB ports are faulty... I can go on.

5. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have the latest iTunes, my computer's brand new and has many working USB2 and USB3 ports, and I've restarted. :(

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

7. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try restarting the iPod Touch. If that doesn't work try another computer to see if the iPod's hardware is faulty.

9. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

I've restarted. The problem is, it works on my old iMac but not my brand new Windows 8 tower computer.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The problem will be with either the iPod's hardware or the computer. You say you're running Windows 8, which is still pre-release software. Perhaps the drivers needed for the iPod to 'talk' with your computer are incompatible with it (did it ever prompt you to say it was installing device drivers the first time you plugged it in?).

12. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

That spam post wasn't me. Well, suddenly it just started working lol. So, I'm happy xD

13. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

Don't u have windows 7 installed? Maybe it was win 8 because win 8 is in Beta. Use win 7 instead because when win 8 is released ur going to probably have to do a clean install and the beta is going to expire.