Restore Issue - Please save me from throwing my iPhone off the balcony

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hjt84, Oct 4, 2011.

1. hjt84, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

hjt84 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Yesterday i began having major issues with my jail broken 3GS!

I've spent what feels like the last day searching forums and trying every trick i can see to get it to work again!

Basically i got the Apple screen of death, so i tried pressing down the power and home key whilst plugged in to my laptop, then releasing the power key and iTunes finally recognises the phone and it connects no problem.

That is so far so good.

Then it tells me i have to restore the phone and i must download the newest software to do it. Again, that's no problem.

But! It will not let me restore the phone. I get to about 80 - 95% completion of the download and installation process before the phone disconnects itself and it can't continue. I've gone beyond caring about the data on there, i just want a functioning phone again and i can replace everything else quite easily.

Can anyone tell me what will work next for an iPhone that wont restore?

To add insult to injury, i live in China where the nearest Apple store involves a trip on a death trap speed train and a day off work.

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but i've read so many forums and posts on the subject that it's all beginning to blur!!

Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know what firmware was running before this all started! I was advised by the guy i bought it from to do a DFU restore, but that hasn't worked either! I'm actually about to go crazy! Do i need to re-jail break it?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I believe you have an unlocked iPhone where someone has installed an iPad baseband on it. So, you can't restore to an official Apple firmware. There is a thread in this forum where it gives you instruction to downgrade it to 4.1 fw (somehow Apple still signs this version fw).

3. hjt84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That's the first i've heard of it, the buy i bought it from hasn't mentioned that at all so far, but now i've read up about it, it makes sense as i only bought it a couple of months ago.

I've got my cup of tea so i'll try it now! You might have just saved me from becoming the next 'Crazy foreigner goes postal at a Chinese worker' internet sensation!

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Please give us an update on your phone as soon as you try it.