Restore Jailbroken 3GS on 4.0 to Jailbroken 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by djuarez03, Jul 8, 2010.

1. djuarez03 macrumors regular

I just upgraded my jailbroken 3GS (w/old bootrom of course) to a jailbroken 4.0 IPSW that I created with Pwnagetool. If I had to, can I restore my iPhone to that same jailbroken 4.0 IPSW without any hitches? Or would I have to downgrade back to 3.1.2 and then restore to the jailbroken 4.0? I'm assuming that, since I'm already jailbroken on 4.0, I should be able to just restore to that same IPSW in Recovery mode, but just want to make sure in case I have to do it in the future.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can restore to your custom firmware as long as you can get it into recovery (not DFU) mode. That's with the USB and iTunes logo. If you get stuck in DFU mode (completely blank screen, iTunes detects phone in recovery mode), you will have to restore to an official firmware. In that case, you can downgrade to 3.1.2 provided you have your SHSH on file; if not, you would be forced to restore to 4.0 official and would be unable to jailbreak until new tools are released.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. djuarez03 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, that should not be a problem. It's harder to get the iPhone into DFU mode than Recovery mode anyways, so it should not be a problem. Either way, I have all my SHSH's backed up on Cydia. Thanx for the replies.