Restore Jailbroken iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ziggy067, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ziggy067 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1.

The home button has stopped working and I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem.

So I want to take it back to the shop which means un-jailbreaking

I tried to do an itunes restore back to 4.2.1 but I got an error "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

In iTunes I can restore and update to iOS 4.3.5 but I've heard you have to be carful when updating jailbroken iPhones because you can get assorts of problems.

And I really cant afford to screw it up because if I do I can't even get the phone into DFU mode because the home button doesn't work.

So what should i do?
    Can I just restore and update to 4.3.5

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Yes, you can just restore and update no problem there - just make sure you set up as 'new'. The only issue from restoring from back up is that some jailbroken "leftovers" could be transferred over (such as changing the carrier name) which could mean Apple think it was/is jailbroken, but set it up as new and no problem there :)

You can't restore to 4.2.1 anymore because Apple have stopped signing that firmware, and it is only possible to restore via TinyUmbrella if you have your 4.2.1 SHSH blobs saved, but that shouldn't matter just restore and update and you're good to go :)

3. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

You should be able to update to 4.3.5. I have done this before with no problem.

4. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

I kinda had the same problem as you yesterday.
    I needed to take my iPhone in to get it replaced (not for a broken home button) and I was on 4.3.3 jailbroken. I didn't have my SHSH blobs saved from my recently replaced phone.
    I tried to update to 4.3.5 and had a lot of issues. I have no idea what the deal was but was luckily able to update and take it into the store. I also was lucky enough to get a new phone whith 4.3.3 already on it.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Nice! Take advantage of the jailbreak. :D