Restore JB 3.1.2 without updating to 3.1.3. Error - not eligible for build update...?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GLOC, Feb 9, 2010.

1. GLOC macrumors member

I wanted to restore my JB 3.1.2 iphone but don't want to update to 3.1.3. If I go through iTunes to restore from the summary screen I have to update to 3.1.3 (as far as I can see, because when I say decline it drops out) and if I try to restore "Offline" then it won't restore because it can't connect to the iPhone update server.

Any ideas how I go about restoring "offline" so that I can have 3.1.2, JB and then restore my apps (I am missing the Notifications at the moment)

Regards

Gareth

2. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

I know it is bads form to reply to your own post but after a little googling and find some info on Macthemes, just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

To restore from a saved .ipsw I clicked Shift-Restore in iTunes (PC) and a dialogue opens up asking to load a .ipsw file.

I am at the point of downloading the 3.1.23GS .ipsw file from http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750 and using 3.1.2 (3GS): iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw this file.

I presume I just load this through iTunes and let things take their course? I have backup'd up the iPhone through iTunes and have run AptBackup from Cydia to save my JB apps.

Anything else I need to do?

Thanks

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Google for the iClarified tutorial involving redsn0w and 3.1.2 that's correct for your iPhone and operating system.

4. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I have followed the tutorial but when I open the 3.1.2 (3GS): iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw file, I get an error from iTunes which says that this phone could not be restored. This device is not eligible for the requested build.

[​IMG]

Under settings I have:

Version: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Carrier O2 5.0
    Model: MC133B

iTunes is 9.0.3

Any ideas?

Thanks

5. Tu13es macrumors regular

Unless you have your SHSH stored on Saurik's server (or your own), you're out of luck. The message you're getting is because Apple is no longer signing requests to restore 3.1.2.

If you open Cydia and it says something like "This device has a ECID SHSH on file for version 3.1.2", you should be okay. Follow this guide: http://www.saurik.com/id/12

Another guide here: http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/local_ecid_shsh.html

6. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it won't work. You confessed that Cydia doesn't have your SHSHs for older versions archived, and I'm guessing you did not personally archive them to your computer before 3.1.3 came out.

You cannot collect or generate SHSHs for versions of the firmware that have already been withdrawn by Apple. Period. You need to collect them BEFORE Apple withdraws them.

Sorry. :(

I would stick with 3.1 for now and just jailbreak it with blackra1n (I don't think redsn0w will jailbreak 3.1, just 3.1.2). Then go into Cydia once jailbroken and instruct Cydia to collect your 3.1.3 SHSHs from Apple. If 3.1 works for you okay, then stay with 3.1 and wait until someone figures out how to crack 3.1.3 on a 3GS.

If you happen to have an old bootrom 3GS (non-tethered jailbreak), then once jailbroken with blackra1n you could elect to create a custom 3.1.3 IPSW for your phone with PwnageTool and upgrade to that. Once you are jailbroken, never ever install official, non-pwned Apple firmware again (unless you have 3.1.3 SHSHs on file with Cydia and redsn0w for 3.1.3 comes out), otherwise you will be without jailbreak forever.

-- Nathan

EDIT: Heck, if you'd rather use 3.1.2 than 3.1.3, once you jailbreak with blackra1n on 3.1 you can also make a 3.1.2 firmware file with PwnageTool and use that. Apple doesn't have to sign off on custom IPSWs on a pwned phone. :)

8. TheMan70 macrumors newbie

So if i update to 3.1.3 with itunes will i be able to jailbreak again with The Spirit Jailbreak? I have a 3GS that's stuck at the apple logo so i have to restore but don't want to update if possible. I didn't have any file on Cydia so SHSH is out. Oh and i don't have a original SIM card so can i still activate the phone after the restore? i have at&t but the phone wasn't originally mine.

Thank you so much for any info

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Yes...Spirit is ONLY for phones on 3.1.3. And as long as your SIM is for AT&T you should be able to activate just fine.

10. TheMan70 macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the info one more question before i do this. If i activate i wont be adding or modifying anything on my at&t plan right? Apple just needs to know if your on at&t?

11. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Not right away, but if you don't have a data plan on your AT&T account, it's possible/likely that AT&T will eventually notice you're using an iPhone and add one for you.