Restore JB from Backup...who does it??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Feb 19, 2011.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

When restoring my iPhone I usually always set up as new to avoid any past bugs being installed from Restore from Backup.

I'm just wondering if anyone does in fact restore from backup when they are restoring via iTunes??

And if so, do you notice anything that might cause issues and like what?

Thanks.

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

From what i have heard its much better to just install all from new. But I have installed from backup a couple of times with 100% on my iPhone4 no problems here.

3. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

I did this with both 4.1 and 4.2.1 and have not experienced any issues with either Jailbreak.

I have a fairly large collection of apps and games and it doesn't cause any problems when I restore them all from backup.

It probably is best to start fresh, but I have had no reason to so far.

4. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

The only thing I've ever noticed to carry over from a restore from backup while being jailbroken is when I changed the carrier name using MakeitMine.

After you restore from backup you'll still have to jailbreak after and install all the cydia apps and tweaks but at least you'll be able to have all your saved game data and app data.

Next time when I do this when 4.3 comes out I think I might just try restore from B/U first and hope that nothing goes wrong...because I hate having to spend a couple hours getting it back to the way I like it.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've done this will every JB with my iPhone 4. The only issue that I have is that none of the carrier name changers work. However, that could be because of a tweak that I have (OpenNotifier). I don't really care that much so I haven't put the time into hunting down what's causing it.

Other than that, I have zero issues.

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Makeitmine doesn't work but you could try fakecarrier it worked for me.

7. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

I always restore from a backup. Too much hassle to redo everything. I don't know what people are talking about when they say doing that gives you problems. I have not once experienced a negative result in doing it. Just a quick restore from backup and have pkgbackup handle the rest and boom: all finished.

8. momo8881 macrumors newbie

Agreed

I would have to agree. I am using a backup that is almost 3 years old and has moved from three different 3G iPhones and now my iPhone 4. No telling how many different firmwares have been used. Anytime I have had a problem I was able to trace it to a app/mod from cydia. I would advise people to only install new mods one at a time in order to know what to remove if you have a problem. Also, purchase your mods through cydia instead of using cracked mods from shady sources which are generally hosting older versions of mods. Just my 2 cents.