Restore Macbook Pro 13" 2011 HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaimbot, Jul 15, 2012.

1. jaimbot, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

jaimbot macrumors newbie

I just switched from pc to macbook about 2 days agoso I'm pretty new to the mac scene. I bought a 2011 macbook pro 13" 2.7ghz i7. With mac os x 10.6.8(pretty sure it didn't include restore dvds when it was originally bought)from someone online and he did not mention that he had a password on it. So my brother was using it and logged off the account and now I can't get back in and the seller is out of town for 2 weeks. So I need to restore it. Can someone give me step by step instruction on how to restore my macbook!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Looks like it's the higher end early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, depending on when he purchased it may or may not have a lion partition (any computer after July 20th, 2011 should have it). On startup hold command +r and see if it boots into the recovery partition. If it does, use disk utility to erase and reformat the main macintosh HD drive. And then reinstall lion.

3. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

I have never tried this but based on the comments, the instructions in this video seem to work and will allow you to use your computer until you can get restore CD's or, if you choose, buy Lion or Mountain Lion when it's released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfSFA61M3go

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If you don't care for the data that's on the MBP, it's advisable you just wipe the drive and do a clean install instead of trying the method posted above by another user.

5. jaimbot thread starter macrumors newbie

i started up the mbp normally and it didnt ask me to login so everything is fine now, but for future sake i just need to know if i can restore it. i did command+r and it lead me to a grey screen with a globe spinning in the middle and it said recovery something then asked me to select a conenction for wifi. is that the recovery partition you are reffering to? will i be able to restore it in the future if i need to?

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yup, that's it!

7. jaimbot thread starter macrumors newbie

So after pick my wifi connection it should let me use disc utility to clear the mac harddrive then I can reinstall the mac os x ?

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718