Restore MacBook Pro to new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2ndchancephones, May 25, 2012.

1. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a question. I have an 11 month old MacBook Pro and I'm giving it to my daughter before she starts college in August. What is the best way to restore it to factory conditions? Maybe a better question would be...how do I do it? I'm buying myself a new MacBook when they come out...yippee! This has been my first MacBook and I am fully converted as it is a great machine.

Thanks for any tips.

2. Aceuniverse macrumors newbie

I know text instuctions can get a little bit difficult to follow so here is a youtube video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmT5Xbb8p0

BUT since you want a clean restore, skip step 1. Meaning start at 1 minute and 51 seconds

3. 2ndchancephones thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Ace!

4. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

The video above does a good job explaining how it's done. Depending on how you want to go about it, once the install is complete, and your system boots up, asking you to configure an account, etc., you can turn it off, and hand the laptop over to your daughter. When she turns it back on, the setup process will once again resume and ask her to set up and a system account and enter her information.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a good video. The only confusing bit I see there for the OP is when it comes to reinstalling iLife from the DVD. It is not clear in the video, but when you get to the point in the OS install where is asks you to create an account, you will need to go through that and create a new user account for your daughter. Only AFTER doing that will you be able to install iLife from the iLife install DVD.

Should not be a problem though. Just ask her what she wants he user account named and you can set it up for her.

If I am off on this, somebody tell me.... but this is how I recall it from the last fresh install I did.

6. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

I've just done this...

Basically, much easier if you also replace the disk (I had a 240Gb SSD and the new owner of my MBP will have a 256Gb SSD which I have ordered and installed on his behalf).

Pop in the original disks that came with the MBP, and away you go...

The only problem I found was that for some reason my original iLife disk seems to have become faulty (although looks fine). Not a big problem as I have backups of everything so basically had the disk image ready on my NAS drive, but a curious discovery. Drive is otherwise fine, very odd.