Restore MBA 2012 10.8.4 to MBA 2013?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tbaer, Jun 10, 2013.

1. tbaer macrumors member

I just ordered a new MBA 2013 model and am wondering if restoring a time machine backup to the new system is ok and works or if starting with the clean install on the new system would be a wiser choice?
    In my old windows days I would say new install due to chipset drivers etc. but os x might be different?

2. Bear macrumors G3

What you need to do is when you initially boot the new MBA is to allow it to import data from your time machine backup when it asks if you want to do that. That way you get your apps and user data but it has the OS it came with.

3. jmazzamj macrumors regular

In all honestly I always prefer to have a fresh install on my new machine.

You could always fresh install it later if you run into any issue...

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

OP: You won't run into any issues. This isn't a Windows PC where propeller heads recommended a clean install as the universal fix for all problems.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

This is generally true with new Macs that ship after an operating system update is released. Typically they'll use a newer/different build of the current version, so in this case they will likely ship with a modified 10.8.4 which will mean the one on your 2012 Air won't run the 2013. You'll likely need to migrate. On the plus side, if you happen to have a Thunderbolt cable, the migration will be quite fast.