Restore my ipsw 4.0 File onto another iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so I have my original ipsw file from 4.0, is it possible to install this on my sons iPhone 4 which has 4.0.1?

Just curious because we both like the older bars.

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

if your on a mac plug in the iphone, open itunes, hold down command and option key together then click restore under iphone summary, from there navigate to the ipsw file. im not sure if apple is still signing 4.0 however.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You prefer the number of bars that used to appear or the relative heights of the bars? :)

That aside, I don't see why you would not be able to use that .ipsw. I doubt Apple has started shipping iPhone 4s with anything other than 4.0 so it's not as if you're trying to install a version older than what it shipped with.

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Nope unless he had them before 4.0.1
    Just JB if a problem occurs just restore the phone back if you have to take it in. Make sure it is 4.0.1 and not 4.0.2.

5. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Nothings wrong with my phone or his, just that he has 4.0.1 and I have 4.0.2 but my phone was replaced, my old phone had 4.0 which was from release day.

I am trying to use a file from my first phone, but it sounds like Apple may not allow me to backdate either phone.

I guess I can back mine up and try to put the older file on it, if that does not work I can restore it and go back to 4.0.2

It has to be worth a try...:rolleyes: