Restore my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragonev, Oct 29, 2012.

1. dragonev macrumors member

Hi guys,
    The problem is as follows: I decided to sell my current MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and because of this I need to fully restore it. When I got it, I had Snow Leopard, since then I have already upgraded twice (first to Lion, than to Mountain Lion). Of course, I lost my original CD somewhere. So the question is, how can I perform the restore and whether I can just restore to original Mountain Lion (which is possible through wi-fi restore option built-in the OS).

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Although technically it would be violating the EULA for Mountain Lion for you to sell the machine with it on there... there is really nothing stopping you. Just do a command-r boot to the Mountain Lion Recovery HD partition and start Disk Utility then erase Macintosh HD. Then go ahead with the ML install. This will give you a new, clean install of ML.

Aside from the EULA issue, the downside to this is if the new buyer ever needs to do a fresh install they will not have your AppleID to redownload Mountain Lion. They also will not have the iLife apps on there.