Restore my whole Computer?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by djschep, Jun 20, 2012.

1. djschep macrumors member

Hey guys,

Probably an easy question, but on Sunday I was trawling through my Mac looking for thing i didn't use. I started deleting things and now my computer is acting pretty weird. I cant remember exactly what I deleted so I cant get a file restore. Seeing as I have multiple backups from Saturday/Sunday morning, I was wondering if it was possible to restore my whole computer to how it was then?

Thanks in advance!

djschep

2. atMac macrumors 6502

Time Machine may help you do that if you are using it, though I'm not very familiar with how it works

3. djschep thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but that wasn't really helpful! Does anyone actually know what to do?

4. iWind130290 macrumors member

Base on what you're saying, i guess that you didn't use Time Machine to create a back up before. Don't mess around with that name.

Actually you should re-installing Mac OS. If you're using Lion OS X, so you can re-install it on the same Volume with current OS(don't format the Volume while re-installing). It'll not effects on your personal data and installed Applications.

5. djschep thread starter macrumors member

I did use Time Machine

6. fronteren macrumors newbie

fronteren

How do you do that? that is exactly what i need!!!!

thanks

7. djschep thread starter macrumors member

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Boot into the Recovery Partition and restore the entire system using the last backup with a time stamp that precedes you aimlessly deleting files from the computer.

Or, as suggested, reinstall Lion. But this may not resolve any non-OS files you may have deleted.

9. thatoneguy82, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is really simple, if you have Time Machine running regularly in the background.

If you do use Time Machine, just got "into" it via the menu bar icon. Clicking on it should reveal a drop down that says "Enter Time Machine." This will take into some space-y looking thing and on the side will give you days/dates of available restore points. The bottom part of the screen will say "restore" - it's pretty self explanatory. I've done this several times. It does what it pretty much says it does. This will restore all deleted files.

10. djschep thread starter macrumors member

Doing that now, thanks guys!
    would you guys please look at my other problem i've been having for a while, heres a link: http://bit.ly/MKdqK0
    thanks
    djschep

----------

Okay so I want to do this, but what file should I restore? Like I said, i'm not sure which files I deleted anymore...

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but all you need to do is go back to a previous date where your computer was working as it should. Hopefully there's a restore point available; once found, just click on restore and all should be well.