Restore Needed - 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qpid360, Jul 15, 2009.

1. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

I'm running a stock 3GS. Yesterday, while texting, my phone suddenly lost signal and I got the message "core baseband dump.". I turned Airplane mode on and off, still couldn't get a signal and then a message appeared stating I needed to restore and that I could only make emergency calls. However, after a reboot, it worked fine again. I sarched around and found no clear explanation as to why this happens, but it's happened to quite a few people. Some were able to get it working after a reboot, some had to restore, and some were followed by "Repair Needed" prompting a trip to the Apple store.

So, does anyone have any knowledge with regards to this issue? So far my phone is working fine but I'm concerned it might happen again, as it has with others.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Basically, what you had is something like what happens in Windows when it crashes. It could be a lot of things, but is probably due to being low on memory and then something overwriting a part of memory resulting in the crash. Once you restarted, the memory was cleared, so everything is all good. You might still want to do a restore. Also, I'm not sure if Apple can still access the core dump, but that might help them to know what the exact issue was.

3. qpid360 thread starter macrumors 6502

qpid360

Thanks for the response. I also read that some people who experienced this somehow lost their baseband, etc. Hopefully it won't happen again.