Restore Needed: Home button doesn't work/Pass code locked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AlkFoo, Mar 28, 2011.

1. AlkFoo macrumors member

So, this weekend my iPhone 3G gave me a screen that said "Restore Needed- iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes.

Big Problem is... when I went to iTunes, iTunes said, "cannot recognize this phone because it is "Pass coded locked"... you must unlock phone with pass code first. The phone will not allow me past that initial screen (Restore needed- with the connect usb cord to iTunes screen), other than to do an emergency call.

And to boot... my Home Button Does NOT work... so no "sleep/Power off" to reboot. Does anybody have a suggestion.

Thumbed through the forum threads and didn't see this topic...well, at least didn't see it with a broken Home button. Any suggestions are appreciated... until then I am texting from a go phone (average 30 character text- 10 minutes :mad::( )

Thanks

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

try connecting the device in recovery mode.

you might want to set it up as a new device rather than restoring from the backup.

3. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks... I tried this, but because the "sleep/wake/home button" doesn't work I can't do this. Unless I am missing something?

Thanks again

4. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

So... has anybody ever been locked out of iTunes because of pass code and is there a way around that. I can't unlock my phone because it won't allow me to get to the screen to enter the password/passcode.

I'm beginning to think there are no options... please help.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If your phone wasn't telling you to restore, then I'd suggest using the power button to access the lock screen.
    If your home button doesn't work, there's no way for you to get into DFU mode to start recovery; this would take care of your problem with the pass code. Since it's a 3G, it's not likely that your phone is eligible for warranty-covered service. You can try to repair it yourself, but I seriously doubt you possess those skills.

6. 11colmil macrumors member

11colmil

Try downloading recboot and throwing the phone into recovery mode from there. Recboot is an application that allows you to enter or exit recovery mode WITHOUT needing any buttons on your phone. Once you have it in recovery mode, go ahead and restore via iTunes.

7. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

You are correct... I do not have the skills, no the bills, to repair it. Guess I'll be looking for a loaner to hold me over.

Unless there are any other ideas...

8. 11colmil macrumors member

11colmil

Re-reading your post, I saw that you already are in recovery mode. Try using recboot to exit recovery mode then. (Don't I sound like the recboot advocate :D )