Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Divadrekab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Hi, I have an iphone 4 wich I bought like 8 months ago. Back then when I bought it I used jailbreakme.com to jailbreak the phone and I have not updated the phone since. Lately I've been having some issues with the phones mic wich you can hear people but they cant hear you, also sometimes I hear some loud popping or crackling sounds in the phone and if I softly hit the phone in the charging connection area the problem seems to subside. So I called At&t and they suggested to take back the phone because it is still under warranty but I need to remove the jailbreak so that they dont void my warranty. So my question is, should I update or restore? I currently have ios 4.0.1 and BB 01.59.00. I would like a solution in wich I dont lose my pictures, contacts ect in case they give me a new replacement phone. Thanks for your help.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi, I have an iphone 4 wich I bought like 8 months ago. Back then when I bought it I used jailbreakme.com to jailbreak the phone and I have not updated the phone since. Lately I've been having some issues with the phones mic wich you can hear people but they cant hear you, also sometimes I hear some loud popping or crackling sounds in the phone and if I softly hit the phone in the charging connection area the problem seems to subside. So I called At&t and they suggested to take back the phone because it is still under warranty but I need to remove the jailbreak so that they dont void my warranty. So my question is, should I update or restore? I currently have ios 4.0.1 and BB 01.59.00. I would like a solution in wich I dont lose my pictures, contacts ect in case they give me a new replacement phone. Thanks for your help.

plug into itunes, right click on device and click backup, this will save your photos and sms etc..

then click restore which will tell you you have to update becasue there is a new firmware available, say yes, after the restore it will ask you to restore from back up or set up as new device make sure you select restore as NEW device, then apple wont be able to tell that you were ever jailbroken

then when you get the replacement you can restore it from the backup you made of your current device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.