Restore/permissions help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zzzuppp, Sep 27, 2011.

1. zzzuppp macrumors member

Something went amiss in my startup disk recently and Disk Utility couldn't repair it, and I had to repartition and reformat it. I've been running Lion on it for about 4 weeks.
    Luckily I have everything backed up on an external, but in bringing most of it back (using Carbon Copy Cloner), the same thing happened and the Disk crashed again. For a while it was all working and I have a hunch that something among my backup files is the problem. It's possibly also to do with having Lion architecture backed up alongside Snow Leopard on the same backup partition.
    Anyhow last night I repartitioned again and reinstalled Lion from scratch, and have now added all the Apps that I need, updated everything using Software Update and DLing most of the rest afresh. Some I had to drag back from the backup disk. There haven't been any problems and I ran Disk Utility and the Startup disk is so far fine.

What I want to do now is bring across some of my files from the Backup. I shall go through them extremely carefully, looking for likely culprits, and only bring them over one at a time.

So I need two kinds of help-

1) When I copied over all my stuff before the disk seized up again, there were all kinds of permission problems. Obviously with a fresh install of Lion I had to create a full name (Dave) and user ID (dave1, which is what my 'Home' is named).These are the same ones as before but it's clearly not straightforward to expect all the old files to behave as before.
    Can someone talk me through what I need to do to reformat all the permissions on my old files etc so that my 'new' identity is the owner and administrator of them all? I guess it requires some Terminal work, which I definitely need help with.

2) Can someone direct me to the right sort of files in my backed-up System or Library or User Library data which show that I have registered and paid for certain Apps which I have reinstalled, and which can restore bookmarks in Safari, preferences etc?

Thanks in advance.

NB my setup is OS X 10.7.1 iMac 5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz