Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by martynthomas24, Nov 17, 2010.

1. martynthomas24 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I used greenpois0n to jailbreak my iphone 4 about a month ago, but after lots of tampering with different files, I thought I would do a complete restore.

After following the instructions in the sticky, I restored using itunes, only for the message 'sim card not supported' so appear after the restore.

Its a vodafone uk sim card so I cant understand why its not supported?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thomas

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

3. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did. And using the sim card that they supplied me.

4. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it even possible that I might have locked it somehow by restoring from a jailbreak?

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It is hard to give you an intelligent guess of what is happening since there isn;t much details other than the "SIM card not supported" message. It is highly unlikely (I never like to say impossible) that you "locked" the phone, even if you do, you would have "Locked" to the network you bought it form (in this case Vodafone). So I doubt that is the issue.

* Random guesses, would be bad SIM card - take it to the store and get a new SIM or if you have a friend that you can borrow a MicroSIM card from for a just a few second and try a different SIM.

* Something went bad on the phone, Try another Restore, put the phone on DFU and restore to apple fresh 4.1. Take it to the Apple store.

6. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive just returned with another sim card from the store, and the results are the same. The phone is stuck on the Emergency Call screen, and itunes has the unsupported sim message.

Ive tried restoring under DFU with no success.

I was concerned about taking it into Apple after the jailbreak.

Thanks for your help though!

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you did a DFU restore and didn't restore from backup you will be fine there will be no trace of jailbreaking, just take it, it is a faulty phone (since it is not JB and it is NOT working). Of course don't tell them that you JB...just tell them you got the SIM error, tried restoring multiple times and same result. They will either fix it or replace it.

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

if you did a full restore they wont know if you were jailbroke before. just take it to them and tell them you restored the phone and this is what it did. they will either fix it or swap it! just dont tell them you jailbroke it before.

9. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that will be the only option then...

If I jailbreak it again I can get into the phone, but its just showing no service in the top corner...and in settings, general it has Network and Carrier as 'Unavailable'

...if that helps?

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Restore with the SIM card in the phone, and do not jailbreak again until you check that your have service. It is possible you restored and Hactivated the phone with GP in which case you can get trouble with original SIM.

11. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

What problem would this cause with the original sim?

Ive done one last DFU restore with the sim card in, and once again itunes wont support the sim, the phone is on the emergency call page and i have no service.

12. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Sounds like a dud, take Maturola's advice, take the iphone back to Apple.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you could try to restore as NEW and make sure iTunes is directed to :apple: and not saurik servers to cover all bases then after you get a signal you jailbreak again...

14. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check that itunes is directed to apple?

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can check you going to apple by typing
    Ping gs.apple.com from terminal window.

You should get response from 127.0.0.x
    If not your host file need editing.

16. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

eh, NO. A response from 127.0.0.x means they are NOT pointed at apple. They are most likely pointed at a local Tinyumbrella server...

It should be more like 17.151.36.30 or similar...

17. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok I got a reply similar to what f4780y said...

I took the phone back to apple, got a replacement...brought it back home, all worked fine, updated to 4.1 all was good...

Clicked restore so I could restore from backup...and then surprise surprise "the sim inserted appears not to be supported"!!

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Have you tried getting a new sim ?

19. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I never had an unlock, and yep by restoring i wanted to lose my jailbreak...but now my phone is unusable!

20. martynthomas24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep tried that twice...it's all very strange, I can update my software (which removes the software then adds the new one), but as soon as I try to restore (which essentially does the same) my sim is unsupported...