Restore Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Aug 1, 2009.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I have a 3gs, but I just want to try to restore it. My battery life seems a little poor and want to try a restore.

If i do this and restore as a new iphone, is there any way I can sync my contacts notes and stuff back eventually?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you have your contacts saved in the Address Book then yes, you can sync them back. Not sure about the other stuff though. Definitely not SMS and things like that though.

3. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

As long as you have your contacts and stuff saved in like Address Book, then I don't see why not. A restore doesn't take everything out of Address Book and such.

4. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

Just make sure you do a backup before you restore the iPhone.

I did this a few times, if you backup right before restore it will save everything. (order of apps, notes, SMS, phone contacts, calender etc)

Again just make sure you do a backup right before restore and you'll be fine.

NOTE: i did sync my phone contacts before i did the restore (I am not 100 percent sure if the phone contacts get saved in a backup so sync them to your computer).

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

But he wants to set it up as a new phone, not restore from a backup.

6. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

Your right, I didnt read the whole post.

I cant answer that question.

Best advice I can give is to try the restore method and back up your info and see how the battery life is after you do that. Hopefully that solves your problem.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I would think that is due to him reading some of the threads on here about restoring as a new phone improving battery life. I'm not convinced that improves battery life over a normal restore as backup. Your thoughts?

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I personally think it does, I am just going by the word of the ton of people that have done it. And the Dev Team even says to do it on their blog, and they know more about the iPhone than any of us ever will. I'll take their word for it. :)