Restore / Recover Deleted Apps AND Data from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ICEBreaker, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Hi iPhone gurus,

I've been searching the web and this forum, and it seems no one has addressed this issue.

If one were to accidentally delete an app from the iPhone (easy enough to do), how would they go about restoring the app AND its data? I would have thought that one could restore their entire iPhone's memory from a previous backup on iTunes, however, this doesn't seem to be the case. This must be a common problem, and yet I can't find anyone asking this question, let alone solving the issue.

In my particular case, I've upgraded an app which is much worse than the previous version. I know how to downgrade an app, but it involves deleting the app from the iPhone and reinstalling it. The problem is that I will lose all the data. So I thought I could just restore from my backup but it didn't work. The upgraded app is still there.

In the meantime I cannot unplug my phone from my Mac because otherwise, next time I plug it in, my backup would be overwritten.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

JC

2. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump this up like that. But it just seems as if no one has a clue about this. More odd is that no one seems to share this problem or considers this to be an issue at all.

But really? Are you trying to tell me no one has made a fat finger error and deleted the wrong app? A lot of iPhone apps are data driven, so you can't just install the app again. Anyway, no one seems to care, so OK, the crowd has spoken. Let's just archive this.

3. shandyman Suspended

i've never had your problem, if i delete an app by accident, i sync back and restore a backup. never had to get an older version of it, never had an issue losing data for it.

4. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it seems that most people just play games or use other consumption based apps. In which case it doesn't matter if one reinstalls the deleted program.

But anyone who uses a data input application, such as all the apps in the "Productivity Section", then accidentally deleting such an application would be disastrous.