Restore Required, but Passcode Protected...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TC2COOL, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TC2COOL macrumors member

My iPhone just died for some reason. It was working this morning, then when I pulled it out of my pocket about 15 mins ago there was a blue notification bubble that said "Restore Needed" and then under that "iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes."

That was weird. I've never seen that before. Then I connected it to iTunes and iTunes is telling me that it can't sync with the phone until I unlock it with the passcode. Problem is that all I can get to is the emergency call function.

This is not a good morning. Any thoughts? Should I just take it to the Apple Store? Ugh.

TC

2. svndmvn Guest

force a restore in DFU mode, I think it should work.

3. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Technically the rule of the thumb is the iPhone will always restore with the last sync-ed computer.

If DFU fails, then perhaps there is a hardware failure, such as the dock connecter failing to recognise the USB cable. You should bring it in to Apple if that's the case.

4. qnc macrumors member

5. TC2COOL thread starter macrumors member

I gave DFU a shot after I got done at work today, but no dice. I had also had to foresight to get a Genius Bar appointment.

Well, the issue is solved. I have a shinny new iPhone 3G with no hassles. The guys at the Saddle Creek Apple Store in Germantown, TN were very helpful. Quick swap, a couple of papers to sign and then it was off to the house to resync.

Thanks for the help today.