Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferlante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Hello,

I accidentally deleted my sidebar icon and restored it (it is actually a symlink folder) but, I am trying to put back the default icon and I am not being able to do it. I have searched around and I found where the original icons are stored.
Went here:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

Then I found the icon, opened it on Preview and copied the icon and went back to the download icons Get Info and pasted the icon. There it looked right (although it was black and not the right tone), but on the sidebar the folder just looks like a regular folder.

How do I fix this? A explanation for dummies would be appreciated because, I am one.

Thanks for your time.
Luis

ferlante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Not sure what icon you're talking about. Take a screenshot.

This is what I mean...
9th4zd.png

The download sidebar icon used to be that arrow pointing down.

I thought that changing the icon here:
Note: I used the icon from this place - /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources
I copied it into and pasted it in the Get Info tab.

xf54d0.png

Would change the icon on my sidebar... which I found wasn't true..

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What is the result if you toggle the Downloads icon, from your Finder preferences, then Sidebar tab, and click the Downloads box, under Favorites? Uncheck that, and Downloads will disappear. Check the box again, and it will reappear in your sidebar.
(Jesla, in post #4, already mentioned exactly that same fix)
That should be all you need, if you simply accidentally moved the Downloads icon off of the sidebar. Just turn it back on in Finder/Preferences/Sidebar. (No need to muck about in the internal system folders, eh? :D )

ferlante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
What is the result if you toggle the Downloads icon, from your Finder preferences, then Sidebar tab, and click the Downloads box, under Favorites? Uncheck that, and Downloads will disappear. Check the box again, and it will reappear in your sidebar.
(Jesla, in post #4, already mentioned exactly that same fix)
That should be all you need, if you simply accidentally moved the Downloads icon off of the sidebar. Just turn it back on in Finder/Preferences/Sidebar. (No need to muck about in the internal system folders, eh? :D )

Well yeah, I deleted it accidentally and then removed it from the Trash. Then added it back to the sidebar and the icon was wrong. This is a symlink but the original folder doesn't work either...

15wmhqq.png

2hi3yon.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Well yeah, I deleted it accidentally and then removed it from the Trash. Then added it back to the sidebar and the icon was wrong. This is a symlink but the original folder doesn't work either...

What do you mean by "the original folder doesn't work either"?

Do you mean that downloads no longer go to that location?
That Downloads folder is for your browser downloads, so go in to Safari, then Preferences, General tab. The Save Downloaded files to: should be set for the Downloads folder in your home folder. I would suggest that you browse through to that folder, and make sure that your system actually does point to that folder.
Here's what I would do at that point:
Quit Safari, Restart your Mac.
Run Disk Utility/Repair Permissions.
Restart once more...
That process _might_ return the correct icon. If not, the folder icon may not be of any consequence as long as downloads are properly directed to that folder anyway.

ferlante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
What do you mean by "the original folder doesn't work either"?

Do you mean that downloads no longer go to that location?
That Downloads folder is for your browser downloads, so go in to Safari, then Preferences, General tab. The Save Downloaded files to: should be set for the Downloads folder in your home folder. I would suggest that you browse through to that folder, and make sure that your system actually does point to that folder.
Here's what I would do at that point:
Quit Safari, Restart your Mac.
Run Disk Utility/Repair Permissions.
Restart once more...
That process _might_ return the correct icon. If not, the folder icon may not be of any consequence as long as downloads are properly directed to that folder anyway.

Here is what I mean:
27xl4ch.png

Since I have 2 HDs in my MBP, I had changed the destination of the Download to the larger HD and created symlink.

No matter which folder I make the procedure I've described already works.

I am going to try now what you have suggested, but i'm not quite sure it will work.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I would try this :

In the Finder's side bar, delete the Downloads folder (right click, delete from sidebar).

Then, drag the Downloads folder (NOT the alias) from the HD to the sidebar.

ferlante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
I would try this :

In the Finder's side bar, delete the Downloads folder (right click, delete from side bar).

Then, drag the Downloads folder (NOT the alias) from the HD to the side bar.

The Disk Utility procedure did not work.

Done that a few times. The Icon remains the a regular folder.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does the Downloads folder on your second hard drive show the "real" Downloads icon? Be sure to paste the icon on that final destination folder, too. Make an alias of that folder, then drag that alias to your actual home folder. Paste the icon that you want on that alias, if needed. If that doesn't leave you with a changed icon, as you want, then I'm not sure if all this is really worth the effort - if, as you say, downloads go to the location that you have selected.

ferlante

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Does the Downloads folder on your second hard drive show the "real" Downloads icon? Be sure to paste the icon on that final destination folder, too. Make an alias of that folder, then drag that alias to your actual home folder. Paste the icon that you want on that alias, if needed. If that doesn't leave you with a changed icon, as you want, then I'm not sure if all this is really worth the effort - if, as you say, downloads go to the location that you have selected.

Yeah,

I just really thought this was something really easy to be done and that I was doing something wrong.

The folder works perfectly... No problems there, it was more a OCD thing.
But as you can check, both the folder and the symlink have the proper icon I put as described previously.

atn0bc.png

It's not worth the effort apparently, unless has a simple solution, if not I'll survive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.