Restore SMS and MMS to/from iOS4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NightFox, Jul 9, 2010.

1. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

When I got my iPhone 4 I did initially just set it up from a backup of my 3GS. However, I've had a few crashes so I decided to start again with a full restore.

What I want to do now is restore just my SMS/MMS from a backup (taken from my iPhone 4 before I restored it). I found instructions on how to do this without jailbreaking for the 3G, 3GS etc on the Internet, namely:

Navigate to the relevant backup file in ~/Libary » Applications Support » MobileSync » Backup

Delete everything except:
    a) Info.plist
    b) Manifest.plist
    c) Status.plist
    d) 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata
    e) 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mdinfo ​

And restore from the backup.

However, I only have one of the 3d0d7e... files, so I tried it with that but when I tried restoring I immediately got a message saying the backup was corrupted. I then tried also including the files Manifest mbdx and Manifest.mbdb from the original backup and the backup completed but the phone rebooted with a failed restore message at the end and my SMS had not restored (though obscurely a single App had been restored).

I'm guessing that the structure of the iOS4 restore folder/file is different from the previous versions. Does anyone know what I need to do to restore just my SMS/MMS from an iOS4 backup?

2. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68020

NightFox

Update:

I tried restoring from an older 3GS (pre-iOS4) backup using the above instructions and it restored my SMS, but not my MMS. Anyone know which of the backup files includes the MMS?