Restore State w/ Time Machine? (Please Respond!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adamvk, Nov 16, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

My Mac has been much much slower since I installed Snow Leopard, and I think it may be due to the fact that I did not do a fresh install when I installed it. So Now, I'm considering doing a fresh install. However, if something goes wrong, or something doesn't work, I'm wondering if Time Machine has allows you to restore a whole state? For example I could go back to how my Mac used to be without having to install everything again?

Thanks.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I have fully restored the state of my MacPro from a TimeMachine backup multiple times as I was trying out different raid configurations and can whole heartedly say that it works perfectly. Keep in mind you need a full backup without any file exclusions.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

How do I make a full backup? When I enter my external HDD in Finder, is every folder that Time Machine makes a full backup?

4. Steve-M macrumors regular

5. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

If you go to system prefs -> Time Machine -> options. and you screen looks like this. With the only the time machine drive as excluded then you are making a full backup.
    [​IMG]

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Let me just clarify to be SAFE:

I'm going to install Snow Leopard Now.

If something goes wrong, I can restore EVERYTHING back the way to it was by pressing one button in Time Machine, and it will be like I never did anything. Is this correct?

Thank you.

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Anyone? I'd like to do this tonight if possible...

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Never done a removal of snow leopard, but the theory of restoring with time machine is sound.

10. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

To do a complete restore with time machine you insert the snow leopard cd and instead of going through the install you select "restore from time machine backup" from the tool menu item (the one where you can find the terminal and disk utility). You will then be presented with a wizard that will walk you through restoring the state.

11. Steve-M macrumors regular

Yes, when you are restoring from a TM back up, your hard drive will be wiped clean before the restore takes place.