Restore taking up too much disk space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tamulmol, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Tamulmol macrumors newbie

Hello! I restored using time machine, it's taking up too much space, is it normal? It doubled my used space. Should it overwrite the old files? Thanks!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A little more background would be helpful. You restored your entire backup? Why? I would think there would be an option to restore a particular file, and that you can choose to overwrite that file. I've never used TM, but another backup program (Retrospect) and that surely is standard.

3. Tamulmol thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I restored the entire backup. I already clicked restore when I found out that I can restore particular file LOL. It doubled my disk used. No idea where to delete the old files, I thought it'll just overwrite :(

I'm newb to mac. I can't repair my disk, that's why I tried to restore it, then I found out that I can use Command R LOL too late again.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So you know where all the restored files were placed, correct? If so, you can find the file(s) you wanted and move or copy it/them to your Desktop and then delete the rest of the restored files. Then place the ones you pulled out of there where they should go. Does that work for you?

5. Tamulmol thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm No. I restored from external Hard drive. I used time machine restore, I've no idea what it did, all I know is after I restored it ate too much space on my primary drive. Time machine should replace the files and not make another copy right? Thanks for your time to answer, I think my restore files are just larger. I just can't see that additional 40gig files. Thanks :)

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Again, I don't know for sure about Time Machine. (I don't know why others are not responding.) But, I think I'd want the file to remain and not be overwritten. Since you don't see the content of the file(s) you're restoring, how do you know you will like it better than what you have already?

7. Tamulmol thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I had some problems with the os, I thought restoring will fix it. I thought it's the same as reinstalling. It's a macbook air, 2 copies of same file is too much for 128gig :(

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Normally, when people talk about restoring things, they mean files. But restoring everything from a backup is not the same as reinstalling things. Restore will get you back to the point of the last backup. Reinstalling will get you to the default state.