Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwestiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Switching from my X to my XS Max went off without a hitch.

Everything restored without a hitch except for my test/imessages. Some of them (mostly older) restored without a problem, but almost all of the most recent haven't restored. A couple of times I got a message at the bottom of the message screen saying that it was downloading the messages, but now that's gone.

I've restarted the phone several times to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

GBA

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
You backed up recently before restore correct? I’m sure you did. Thought I would throw out the obvious.

rwestiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
You backed up recently before restore correct? I’m sure you did. Thought I would throw out the obvious.

I did, I backed up just before I made the switch.

What's weird is that I have one from 9/4/18, but nothing else since 10/12/2017.

Is there anyway to force it to restore?

rwestiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I did, and that worked at first but I can't get it to start downloading again.

n8thegr898

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
I did, and that worked at first but I can't get it to start downloading again.

Im having the exact same problem both on my new XS and my wife’s XS as well. I kinda chalked it up to a lot of people restoring and perhaps the servers are bogged down? I guess I’ll wait to see if it resolves overnight.

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
Also just as a double check if you go into iCloud settings is imessages enabled there?

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Same issue here, but I’m chalking it up to my texts being rather large... literally 25GB. Hoping they eventually all download. I would really hate to lose my messages history!

n8thegr898

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Yep. Checked all that. It DOES give me a comfort that they’re still waiting to download because when I tried to toggle off, it makes a comment that it still hasn’t downloaded all messages yet and asks if I’m sure I want to turn it off.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Same issue with two phones here. Recent texts missing. I’m chalking it up to not being plugged in yet.

n8thegr898

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Unfortunately, I left it plugged in all night and it still didn't restore any additional messages from the cloud. I assume everyone experiencing the issue did a full phone restore from iCloud? That's what I did. I'm wondering if I need to do a restore via iTunes or something...

Last edited:

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
Unfortunately, I left it plugged in all night and it still didn't restore any additional messages from the cloud. I assume everyone experiencing the issue did a full phone restore from iCloud? That's what I did. I'm wondering if I need to do a restore via iTunes or something...

Same here. It hasn’t refreshed them all yet. If I try to turn messages off in iCloud though it still says all messages haven’t been downloaded yet. I’m gonna wait a bit longer before trying to restore the phone again.

Bandit03

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Same situation here. Left it charging all night hoping they would sync but nothing changed. Gonna give it a few days before I try other routes like a full restore

Reactions: Ladyc0524

Got Haggis?

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
i had the same problem, but turning off imessages then turning it back on seemed to have forced it to start downloading messages (while charging and on wifi) - that being said, they are all out of order for some reason.

n8thegr898

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
i had the same problem, but turning off imessages then turning it back on seemed to have forced it to start downloading messages (while charging and on wifi) - that being said, they are all out of order for some reason.

I also tried that, but it didn't seem to force the re-download. Can you explain how long you waited between the steps? Did you toggle off and then toggle back on immediately? Or did you leave it toggled off for a while before turning back on?

mcintsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2017
I too am having this problem—and text message handoff to my iMac isn't working either. I'm hoping it will all resolve itself in a couple of days, while icloud silently does whatever it does.

rwestiv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Dang, I've tried all of the above and nothing.

I guess I'll just wait a few days and see what happens.

GBA

astromoose

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
NC. SF.
I am getting very similar behavior. I'm guessing/hoping its the servers.

If I go try to untoggle messages from the iCloud settings screen, I get a message saying they are not completely downloaded yet, even though I am no longer getting the "downloading" indicator at the bottom of the main messages screen.

I have left the phone plugged in and connected to Wi-Fi, with a very fast connection, overnight.

(I may be an edge-case, my messages history is around ~150GB.)

n8thegr898

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Hey, all. Mine still hasn't updated. I haven't had a whole lot of time to look into it today, but I did happen to find an article with some suggestions. Feel free to check it out and please report back if anything works. One step that I may try at some point is to back up your phone to iCloud and then try a full restore from iCloud. This will essentially give it another try.

https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-imessage-syncing-issues/

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
I dealt with this last night. Only thing that seemed to work was turning off iMessage on my 7 Plus that my Max replaced. That was getting my incoming imessages instead of my Max for some strange reason

n8thegr898

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
For what it's worth, I wanted to share an update on my phone. I called Apple support (800–694–7466) and they said they have had some reports of this and it is an issue that they are currently working on. It seems to affect more of the people that have larger iMessage conversations. Mine is 11GB and my wife's is 50GB+. They had me try disabling iMessages, disabling FaceTime, and then in fast succession, clicking the volume up, volume down and then holding down the power button until the phone restarted with the Apple logo. After it came back up, they had me enable Facetime and then iMessages. It didn't work for me, but they said sometimes that is a way to force it to refresh. I also talked to a Senior Advisor and they suggested that I just leave it plugged into power (not wireless like I was using) to see if that helps overnight. The Senior Advisor said it was known and hoped it would fix itself in a few days. If you're also experiencing the issue, it wouldn't hurt to report it so they can escalate the issue if multiple users are seeing it.

They also said it may not hurt to restart your phone from time to time to see if that helps kick it back into sync mode.

Reactions: astromoose

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
All messages synced on my Xs Max and my wife’s Xs. Took the whole night seeing as we have lots of messages.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I’m still only missing a few messages. Funny thing is I never used this on my Mac, so I enabled it this morning and the Mac synced up fully in a few hours without any issue.

Another interesting thing, I restored my XS from an iCloud backup that had messages in the cloud turned off so it remained off after the restore. iCloud backup said it was restoring 30GB of messages, which completed this morning. With messages in iCloud off the iPhone storage correctly shows nearly 30GB of messages on the phone. The minute you turn in messages in iCloud the iPhone storage section reports there is only 891MB of messages on the phone. These values literally toggle with the on/off switch for messages in iCloud. I wonder if this is a symptom of a bigger issue and is also being looked into by Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.