Restore the IPT: troubles ahead with next update

Lin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
France
I was just restoring (once more time) my IPT, after it was "impacted" by viewing a large PDF file with Safari, through Apache server. At first I was happy to have downloaded yet the system restore file... but that f**** iTunes REQUIRED to be connected to Internet to execute the restore :mad:

What will happen when Apple issues an update to the system :confused:
HOW to restore to 1.1.1, in case we'd need to re-jailbreak :confused:
What about "extracting" the image of a jailbreaked IPT and be able to restore from it, without having to re-jailbreak from scratch :confused:

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
those are good questions. I have the update (1.1.1) downloaded, but it still requires me to connect to the net and redownload it. Any advice on this subject would certainly help everyone.

Great post.
Arisian

Comment

Lin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
France
Well, man, that was of GREAT help with question 2 :D

Now for the others :rolleyes:

Comment

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You can turn updating off in iTunes, I believe then it won't automatically download new firmware.

Under Preferences- General- you can uncheck 'Check for updates automatically'

Then when you connect your iPod, you'll notice it no longer says it will check for updates on a certain date. It just gives you the option to hit the button 'Check for Update'.

Problem solved!

Comment

akophone

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Or, if you're having a tough day and can't remember what to do, just turn the airport off....:rolleyes:

Comment

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
download?

Btw anyone have a link to a download of the firmware 1.1.1 (so I can use that rather than itunes downloading it)?? It's either me or the website but I haven't been able to find it on Apple.com yet...

Comment

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
ok so i clicked+option on restore in itunes and it opens a window.... so where am i looking for the firmware????

Comment

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Btw anyone have a link to a download of the firmware 1.1.1 (so I can use that rather than itunes downloading it)?? It's either me or the website but I haven't been able to find it on Apple.com yet...
Hopefully someone will be kind enough to upload the file(s). :)

Btw, if you click "look for updates" (or w/e) in iTunes, does it automatically update the ipod or does it just download the updates and when finished it'll give you the option to update the ipod?
Also, does iTunes recognize the ipod is jailbroken when "looking for updates"?

I've always wondered ever since I got my touch and I'm scared I'll click something wrong and break it. :p

Comment

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Am i correct in saying that even if there is an update available as long as you don't download it through itunes, when u hit restore it will just restore to the last firmware that you did download.

In short hit 'restore' before hitting 'check for updates' (or hit 'cancel' if you are presented with an auto update dialogue) and you will restore to 1.1.1 (at present)

PS... Also if you uncheck 'automatically check for updates' does that only stop itunes looking for ipod updates or does it stop it looking for itunes updates too.....?

Comment

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
You can turn updating off in iTunes, I believe then it won't automatically download new firmware.

Under Preferences- General- you can uncheck 'Check for updates automatically'

Then when you connect your iPod, you'll notice it no longer says it will check for updates on a certain date. It just gives you the option to hit the button 'Check for Update'.

Problem solved!
But it won't continue the restore without selecting "check for update"

Comment

mattydub

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
But it won't continue the restore without selecting "check for update"
something doesnt seem right here... there are 2 seperate buttons.... One for restore and one for update??? Are u saying the restore box is grayed out???

Comment

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
It gives you one option either check for update or cancel when hitting cancel it stops the action (no restore): See image
I turned off my wireless and tried to update and got the following prompt See other image. So basically it appears that without the Ctrl click option (with the 1.1.1 file on disk) you are out of luck.

Here is a link to a page where you can download the 1.1.1 update for manual restore
http://itouchhacks.wordpress.com/2007/10/17/5/
There is a link in Step 1

Attachments

Comment

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
It gives you one option either check for update or cancel when hitting cancel it stops the action (no restore): See image
I turned off my wireless and tried to update and got the following prompt See other image. So basically it appears that without the Ctrl click option (with the 1.1.1 file on disk) you are out of luck.

Here is a link to a page where you can download the 1.1.1 update for manual restore
http://itouchhacks.wordpress.com/2007/10/17/5/
There is a link in Step 1
Thank you!

Comment

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Thank you!

So how do you manually restore the ipod?

Do you click+option on restore in itunes and select the folder from the unzipped archive?

Comment

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Ever try shift-clicking (pc) or option-clicking (mac) the Restore button in iTunes? ;)
Not sure how. But it appears that planetbeing has done this. I would assume you just unzip to a folder and point it to that folder??

Welcome for the link :)

Comment

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
I'm not sure ....if I recall correctly in the unlock tutorial by iPhone Dev they use the iPhone firmware (also a .ipsw file) - I'd use it the same way they say on that wiki (can't recall if they unzipped it or not) :confused:

Comment

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks for the link, but I still have a question now regarding the firmware version. My iPod says I have version 3A110a, while the downloaded 1.1.1 (according to the filename) is 3A101a. Does that matter or is it zone-dependent which version yo have?

I mean, I could still use it to restore and then update, it shouldnt be a problem right?

Comment

Lin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
France
Thanks everybody for the information. Feel free to go on ;)

This morning I attempted to "backup" all my IPT contents to the computer by using SFTP... some files won't come through, for example all the /dev directory (no wonder...), but basically I got it all out. of course, this is not an "image" of the OS, and can't be used to restore the IPT to its current state :(

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.