Restore...then set up as new. What will I lose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lostsol, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Lostsol macrumors regular

If I restore then choose "set up as new" instead of restore from backup---what all will I lose ? I know I just do a sync after to get back my media but I've read that you lose pictures and something else. The apple support document doesn't go into detail.

2. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

you will lose about 2 hours of time and gain NOTHING.

I tried this. Did not solve my proximity sensor problem at all.

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

you wont loose your photos if you back them up to your computer. you then can sync them back. all you loose is your texts. i recommend new cause backup can always cause problems.

4. draz macrumors 6502a

Setting up as New means that your phone will be empty with zero content in it. All your contacts, text messages, and settings will be destroyed.

But if you restore it from a backup (before iTunes does one) then you can restore your previous settings, text messages, etc...

But before you do that make sure your pictures, songs, and videos are on your computer as they will not be transferred during a backup.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

itunes syncs your contacts

6. Lostsol thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have any major problems. Just a couple little glitchy things. I set up the iPhone 4 from a backup of my original iPhone. I thought maybe something in the backup might be the problem so a restore as new could help. I don't care about texts so guess I just need to save all my pics to the computer and I'll be okay.

7. Octane19 macrumors member

You also lose all of your app data as well, which is a big headache

8. djgulia macrumors 6502

+1 pain in the butt trying to remember passwords. Also had to create new usernames for some apps (pingchat, words with friends) as they wouldn't just let me sign in with my old.